LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 7 2011

Chup

HTML knowledge for SEO

Hey There,
Just thought you could help me with a little something.
I work as a webmaster for a certain rather major company.
My job is administering their website; to keep it up-to-date( products infos,  pricing, availability ), basically being the medium between online customers and the company.
My main job is SEO ( Search Engine Optimization ), been working on that for the past 7 months and i've made a noticeable progress when it comes to google visibility.
The website is developed by a certain company, who offered us an SEO solution when they developed our website, we declined that offer considering i was gonna take care of the SEO.
A couple of months back, i came across something rather interesting, that those developers didn't use H1 tags on ANY of the pages...
H1 would logically and normally go to the title of the product in a specific page, especially if that page is that  product's description.
I asked them to replace all <h4> tags with <h1> which they had to do, and that move made the website skyrocket and becoming even more google friendly.
The only thing is that i can't read the html code... i'm not a web developer/designer
Is there ANY way, any book i can buy, e-book i can download , anything i could read, that'll make me understand that code ?
I don't wanna create code, i wanna understand it , i wanna be able to read it...
I trust your expertise on this one =)
Thanks guys =)

#2 September 7 2011

Bassem

Re: HTML knowledge for SEO

Once you can read HTML, you can create HTML, so it's the same.

W3Schools is the best resource I can think of for learning HTML and various other web technologies.

Here is their main page for HTML. You can look at the Examples section to familiarise yourself, if you don't want to dig in too deep.

It's good that you asked the development company to use H1 tags for the page titles; this is one of the correct practices for SEO.

SEO changed a lot since 10 years ago. 10 years ago, it was all about submitting your site to search engines over and over. There were even software that did that for you. Now it's all about valid, semantic markup. That means dividing the content properly, using proper title tags, menu lists and other semantic markup, and filling out keywords and page descriptions in the meta tags of each webpage.

Since Google is the de facto search engine, it's useful to read their recommendations for SEO. On this page at the top, you can download a PDF.

PS. It's very likely that your development company is using XHTML, a newer version of HTML. But for your purposes, an overview of HTML should be enough.

#3 September 7 2011

Chup

Sweet,
Thanks dude =D

#4 September 7 2011

J4D

How can someone be a webmaster without knowing HTML !

#5 September 7 2011

Chup

You've always been the sarcastic, brutal dude around here.
That won't work with me.
My post was answered clearly and i was thankful.
Leave it at that, dude.

#6 September 7 2011

Joe

Please guys, keep it cool.

@Chup: I agree with Bassem, w3schools is the absolute reference for HTML. They also have great resources for web technologies like CSS, XML and Javascript.

If you ever have more specific questions, many people here are fluent in html (and xhtml for that matter). We would gladly help :)

#7 September 7 2011

Chup

Appreciate it ^.^

Board footer