LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 September 21 2014

Tech Guru

Building a super gaming desktop

Case: Thermal Take Chaser MK-1
Fan for Extra Ventilation: Thermal ltake 12cm Black x 12
CPU: Haswell I7 4790 4ghz ; 8MB Cache
Board: Asus Z97 K (I did not Chose the A since I will not SLI)
Ram: Kingston 8 GB 1600 Mhz Hyper X
Power Supply: Thermal-Take TPG-1050 Watt ; Tough Power Gold Certified
SSD: Crucial 512 GB
HDD: Western Digital 7200 Rpm / 64MB Black Edition
VGA: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 G1 Gaming 4GB GDDR5 (980 Dudes Faster that FTX 780 Ti by 10% ; 2 Ks Resolutions 2048 × 1080 will be Easy to Handle  -the New Maxwell from Nvidia Released 5 Days Ago
Monitor: LG MP56HQ 24inch Full HD IPS
CPU Cooler: Not Stock - Thermal Take Contact 21 and I will Go With Arctic Cooling Thermal Paste
KB & Mouse: Wireless A4tech 9100f
Optical: LG DVD R/W

Last edited by Tech Guru (September 21 2014)

#2 September 21 2014

ramy58

Re: Building a super gaming desktop

Why windows 8 ?
Also most of the topics you created belong in the hardware forum.

Last edited by ramy58 (September 21 2014)

#3 September 21 2014

bermudapineapple

How big is your HDD? Get 16GB RAM to be on the safe side.8 should be fine but taking into consideration how cheap RAM is, it doesn't hurt to give yourself that extra protection for just a little bit more money. Also get Windows 7, not 8. Unless you like 8. I (and most other users according to many reports) prefer 7.

#4 September 21 2014

Tech Guru

HD 1TB ; Well 8 GB Is More Than Enough for Games I will not Use it as a rendering workstation. Well I am kind -off lost between Windows 7 & 8 .. Actually 8.1 has additional instruction for the Direct X ...11.1 plus it gives more FPS (although minimal) but I am afraid if it is not convenient by using a mouse/keyboard and not a touch screen. I think it will be convenient but I am some how skeptical. What do you recommend.

#5 September 22 2014

Tech Guru

Is 16GB  an overkill for a Gaming System ? I think most gaming + system will not use paging more than 6GB. Knowing that I will not Edit Videos.

Last edited by Tech Guru (September 22 2014)

#6 September 22 2014

rolf

I would recommend 16GB, it might be overkill right now but consider that in a couple of years it will not be overkill at all, in 3-4 years it might be to small, and by then the RAM format might have changed, so if you want to update, you'll have to pay more for old, phased out RAM.
I might be wrong, but following my own experience, I believe that, in general, it's better to have extra RAM, if it's a rather cheap, normal kind of RAM.
Now if you are sure to be selling your PC after 1-2 years and sure that you will not need more then that, then yeah don't.

#7 September 22 2014

bermudapineapple

I think you should watch some videos or try it out for yourself. I did both and couldn't stand Windows 8. My cousin on the other hand liked it. It's up to you. Try it before you buy it.

Also, I still recommend 16GB of RAM. You have nothing to lose but potentially a lot to gain.

#8 September 22 2014

chanklish
Banned

8Gb with better speed and better timing but if the price is not an issue , then 16 would be good as well

#9 September 22 2014

Johnaudi

How much did/will all of this cost you?

#10 September 22 2014

Die_Kapitan

Go for 8 GB, in 1-2 years when you'll need 8 GB for gaming you'll probably have upgraded your CPU to Skylake which supports DDR4

#11 September 23 2014

Tech Guru

The Whole System Costs Around 2650 USD

-I will Swap The VGA to ASUS GTX 970 Strix OC instead of the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 G1 - and I will go with 16 GB Ram instead of 8 GB Ram and Windows 7 64bit Instead of Windows 8 Pro 64 Bit and next year I will upgrade to Windows 9 Upon Release.

Knowing that this Price includes Micro Lab 2.1 +Subwoofer  (all in all 50 Watts Output) with Bluetooth wireless set

#12 October 1 2014

Tech Guru

I am a dilemma in choosing the best case (in the range of USD 150 -200) with a good  ventilation since I will be installing a Gegabyte G1 Gaming  SoC 970 GPU which is a 31 cm long (considered long)

Final  Candidates:

- Thermal Take Chaser A 71 - Full Tower
-Corsair 500r
-Coolmaster Scout II Advance
-Antec 1100

Kindly Advice me from your experience knowing that I will be putting an a Contact 21 from Thermal Take to better cool the CPU , the 970 Series are Maxwell based which run cool, I will not SLI or Overclock .

#13 October 1 2014

MrClass

Corsair 500R

#14 October 1 2014

NuclearVision

couple of years later this will be just modest..

#15 October 1 2014

Nemesis-301

NuclearVision wrote:

couple of years later this will be just modest..

is that a good thing, or a bad thing?

#16 October 1 2014

riqmarmes

PSU is overkill imo, you're running a single gpu and cpu. 600 watts should be more than enough
And windows 8.1 is better than 7, I don't know why people don't like it. They probably don't want to get used to the metro style start menu which is fine. And please don't say compatibility issues.

Last edited by riqmarmes (October 1 2014)

#17 October 1 2014

NAM

Well i think a super computer is a good investment if you plan not to change anything for 5 years .. i mean no occulus or anything of that  sort .. but for the love of god don't buy this to just play wow and dota 2 .. i know people with super computers that only use 10% of their total power .. and that pisses me off

#18 October 2 2014

Tech Guru

Kindly I Need Your Advice about a Great Case with a Good AIR Ventilation - Some body told me the Cooler Master 690 III / with window is a nice over all case ; I feeling in a dilemma Corsair 500 r is available too in Lebanon ; I will most probably  avoid Thermal-take since They include a lot of plastic in their builds.  PC and Parts Full Builds have a bulk of CM Cases in use especially the CM Scout 2 and now the CM 690 III

I need:
A reliable long lasting case
With Good Ventilation - I do not Mind Adding two 12cm Fans

Here Are My Final System Specs:

Case: Pending
Fan for Extra Ventilation: Thermal ltake 12cm Black x 12 -White Led
CPU: Haswell I7 4790 4ghz ; 8MB Cache
Board: Asus Z97 K (I did not Chose the A since I will not SLI)
Ram: Kingston 16 GB 1600 Mhz  (8 by 8 Dual Channel)
Power Supply: Thermal-Take TPG- 850 Watt ; Tough Power Gold Certified -Fully Modular
SSD: Crucial 512 GB -MX 100 (500 MB/S R/W)
HDD: Western Digital 7200 Rpm / 64MB Black Edition
VGA: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming 4GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Architecture - Full Direct X 12 Ready
Monitor: LG MP56HQ 24inch Full HD IPS
OS: Genuine Windows 8 Pro 64bit - MS Surprisingly Announced the MS 10 ! 
CPU Cooler: Not Stock - Thermal Take Contact 21 and I will Go With Arctic Cooling Thermal Paste
KB & Mouse: A4tech Bloody Keyboard B120 - Illuminated and Mose A4tec V4M - Bloody Edition or A4t  ZL5 - Lazer Engine 8600 Dpi 
Optical: LG DVD R/W
Speakers: Micro Lab 200m Platinum (50W) - Blue Tooth Edition
HDMI Cable 1.5 M

#19 October 2 2014

rtp

I suggest windows 7

#20 October 2 2014

Tech Guru

7 will not be future proof ; not Direct X 12 Compatible especially I will bring a genuine windows not cracked and next year I will get the windows 10 (expected release date will be mid of 2015)

#21 October 3 2014

ramy58

Games won't start to be windows 8 only until 2016, and youll get windows 10 next year, and windows 7 is cheaper than windows 8 so logically take windows 7.

#22 October 3 2014

Tech Guru

Cheaper by how much?

#23 October 13 2014

Tech Guru

Need to ask of anybody can supply me with a

3 Pin to Molex Adapter - I need to link one of my desktop fans directly to the PSU ; since the bored is full with other 3 fans, no place. - I asked Katranji He Does not Have.

Regards

Board footer