LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 February 16 2014

bigjudge

European Seedbox

Hello everyone. I don't know if this thread is in the correct area but i am having a problem looking for a cheap seedbox. I had a great run for over 13 months renting a seedbox from secureboxes. I had their bronze package (50 gigs unlimited everything for 6 dollars a month). Over a week ago their services stopped for no reason. they are not answering e-mails. facebook or phone calls. So i am now looking for alternatives.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.

#2 February 16 2014

Hybrid

Re: European Seedbox

why not get a vps or a cheap dedi and turn it into a seedbox?

#3 February 17 2014

bigjudge

@ Hybrid. I always go for already set up interface with http portal for download, because i have zero knowledge to how to do that by myself. If anyone here is willing to send to my inbox step by step instructions and where i can get the vps that would be great and thanks for the suggestion Hybrid.

#4 February 17 2014

Hybrid

I can help you set it up,

and it depends on your budget,
you can get a dedicated in france for around 8~10 euro / month, you get 500 GB harddisk space http://www.kimsufi.com/ie

or you can go a bit more far to las vegas, and get a vps from http://buyvm.net/, check the KVM, large storage plans, only problem is you get small amount of memory which might not be enough if you're running several torrents at once.

Or you can try one of these offers:
http://lowendbox.com/blog/bluevm-3-grea … s-the-usa/ (USA)
or
http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/337286 (Netherlands)
Those two allow private seedbox, as long as you don't abuse the resources (that is downloading too many torrents at the same time, or having many peers connected and slowing down the entire node)

There are probably much more providers out there, but those are just some of them.

Let me know what you think, I have a seedbox from blueVM in USA that I use if you wanna test it out.

Last edited by Hybrid (February 17 2014)

#5 February 18 2014

bigjudge

Hello Hybrid Please check your PM. Thanks.

#6 October 1 2014

DG

I know I am digging out an old thread here but I wanted to publicly thank Hybrid for his extreme patience, generosity and help. We should have more people like this... really.
He practically answered lots and lots of questions as I was learning a lot about Linux and seedboxes and he always did that with the same kindness. So one final time (I know I did that a lot during our conversations) a big thank you for everything man.

Hybrid, wishing you the best in all your endeavors...

#7 October 1 2014

rolf

I just want to say I have a VPS in Germany and i'm happy with it, the only thing is that I'm pretty sure part of the initial agreement is that you are hold responsible for whatever you do with it, and in Germany you can be held liable for copyrighted stuff that you upload using your connection and computer. So, at the very best, i might loose my account there if I upload copyrighted stuff (and at the very worst have to appear in court and to pay a huge fine), if I'm caught. This, and the time needed to set it up, is why I'm not willing to open a public seedbox on that VPS.

#8 October 1 2014

NuclearVision

@rolf thats true. seedbox have to be rented from seedbox sellers, that offer those seedboxes for the obvious reasons...

#9 October 1 2014

Hybrid

DG wrote:

I know I am digging out an old thread here but I wanted to publicly thank Hybrid for his extreme patience, generosity and help. We should have more people like this... really.
He practically answered lots and lots of questions as I was learning a lot about Linux and seedboxes and he always did that with the same kindness. So one final time (I know I did that a lot during our conversations) a big thank you for everything man.

Hybrid, wishing you the best in all your endeavors...

Thank you for the kind words, glad I was able to help you.

NuclearVision wrote:

@rolf thats true. seedbox have to be rented from seedbox sellers, that offer those seedboxes for the obvious reasons...

It totally depends on the location and the host's TOS. DG should be safe, he's renting his dedi box from the same place that most of those seedbox providers rent it.

#10 October 1 2014

NuclearVision

@hybird yes my friend, but then they will have problems with the law and not the customer, it's different, it's safer.

#11 October 1 2014

vengeance666

May I ask how much speed you are guys are reaching when downloading from your seedboxes ?

#12 October 2 2014

DG

@rolf: Are you saying that anyone caught with copyrighted material on their seedbox will be necessarily asked to appear in court and pay a huge fine ? I though that the worst that could happen was that they would first receive a warning to remove the files from their box and, if they don't comply they lose their account.

@vengeance666: Sorry I haven't tested the full speed yet. It all depends on torrents and the availability of seeds.

#13 October 2 2014

rolf

DG wrote:

@rolf: Are you saying that anyone caught with copyrighted material on their seedbox will be necessarily asked to appear in court and pay a huge fine ? I though that the worst that could happen was that they would first receive a warning to remove the files from their box and, if they don't comply they lose their account.

I don't know about the specific case of a seedbox, but in Germany, most people are afraid of using bittorrent to download copyrighted stuff, and I believe rightfully so, I think there have already been cases of people being ordered to pay huge fine for sharing copyrighted material - probably not for the odd file here and there, but that would be enough to scare most people. When you use bittorrent, the client uploads chunks of files at the same time than you're downloading, so it's considered sharing (only downloading stuff is not considered sharing).

#14 October 3 2014

NuclearVision

i had one, once in germany.
if the torrent is healthy, you will reach the service provider 's promised speeds, and sometimes more.

#15 October 4 2014

bigjudge

I would Also like to thank Hybrid and Astex as well for all the help regarding this topic. i Ended up with a great seedbox based in Holland. The speed is mind blowing on their side. I reach my max speed with them when terranet is playing nice. Ive had no issues or warnings at all. Been using public and private torrents. great speeds. I also never have experienced downtime yet, its been like 7 months now,

#16 October 12 2014

Hybrid

vengeance666 wrote:

May I ask how much speed you are guys are reaching when downloading from your seedboxes ?

Download speed from CacheFly: 63.4MB/s
Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 8.08MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 6.39MB/s
Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 3.34MB/s
Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 47.7MB/s
Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 30.3MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 2.92MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 5.06MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 4.75MB/s
Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 9.61MB/s

Last edited by Hybrid (October 12 2014)

#17 October 16 2014