LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 23 2014

rolf

Aftermarket Laptop Batteries

For a while now, i've spotted unbranded "aftermarket" batteries for my (now a little old) laptop, featuring 9 cells instead of the 5 or 6 cells (I think) of the original batteries, with a rating of 7800mAh instead of the manufacturer's 4752, so, in theory, a good gain of battery time.
Now that is in a perfect world. These are unbranded batteries, so I have no idea how reliable they would be, and even less about their potential for being dangerous. I tried looking for answers online, but I did not found anything that convinced me either to avoid them or to buy one.
Anyone here has experience or knowledge about these?

#2 August 23 2014

AvoK95

Re: Aftermarket Laptop Batteries

They blow up. Sometimes the laptops are getting damaged by them, and don't be fooled by the mAh, the cells are much smaller than original ones, the ratings are just stickers, the charging current is lowered, so it makes the illusion of it charging properly, when it's not.
Basically they're very bad.

#3 August 23 2014

NuclearVision

This remembers me of the 25 megapixels Chinese phone camera...

#4 August 23 2014

rolf

Thanks. I've also read feedback from people saying that they never had a problem with such batteries - I'm still lost.
But in any case safety and reliability matters more important than performance.

#5 August 23 2014

AvoK95

If the laptop is old, get the generic battery. The laptop will probably die in a year or two anyway.

#6 August 23 2014

rolf

It is a little old, like 2 years, probably almost 3 years, I'm not sure.
The battery shows only 24% loss so I can still use it.
If I need a replacement the question would be do I get the same (cheaper) one, but not necessarily a genuine one from the company, or the 9 cell one which is supposed to last 30-40% more. After what I read here I suppose the answer would be the normal one.

#7 August 23 2014

AvoK95

I think it'll run fine for another year or two. If it doesn't, sell it. a 5yo i3 or lower will be slower than a present gen Celeron.

Board footer