LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 August 19 2014

xerxes

Looking for a bootable OS X flash drive

Fellow geeks,  I have a macbookpro late 2013 which I need to install a fresh copy of osx mountain lion or maverick but I dont have a bootable drive. 
Does any of you guys have a bootable flash drive ?

#2 August 20 2014

AvoK95

Re: Looking for a bootable OS X flash drive

Why not just torrent it?

#3 August 21 2014

xerxes

I already have it on DVD but my macbook air doesn't have a dvd drive, and I do not have a another mac to restore it on a flash drive.

#4 August 21 2014

AvoK95

If you have any other pc around, you can use CDBurnerXP to make an ISO file of the disk. Then use Rufus to mount the ISO on a USB drive. Or just torrent the disk and then use Rufus on the Macbook to mount it.

#5 August 21 2014

xerxes

I will try it. thanks

#6 August 21 2014

NuclearVision

I don't think he wants to get the torrent, as apple provides free updates, as of maverick. But he wants to make use of his DVD, your only chance is to use an alternate computer or buy a cheap external drive that could help you in further situations.

#7 August 21 2014

AvoK95

He could grab an official Mac OSX Malvricks disks on torrent sites that are just ISO files from people's disks that came with their computer.

You know, you could spend like 2,000 and go to a network and burn on ISO file there and then mount it at home.

#8 August 21 2014

xerxes

Here is what I did:
I downloaded transmac to my pc and tried to restore the. Dmg file from dvd into a flash drive., but transmac cpuld not read the dvd.
Then I lent a macbook pro and tried the same through disk utility but it did not work.  Disk utility read the dvd but could not restore it the .dmg file.

How can I downlaod from torrent!? I have no idea.

#9 August 22 2014

AvoK95

Download this:
http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/mac
Then this:
<snip>
(Click "Download Torrent")
Then follow this guide:
http://borgstrom.ca/2010/10/14/os-x-bootable-usb.html

<Admin edit: no links to warez please>

#10 August 22 2014

xerxes

Thanks Ave, I already done some research on Torrent and downlaoded a program called qbittorrent and started a MAC OSX download.

If it did not work I will try your links.
Thanks all.

#11 August 22 2014

NuclearVision

Always check how many seeds there are before downloading a torrent, 0 seeds and you torrent won't download. More seeds the faster and the more guaranteed is your download.

#12 August 22 2014

xerxes

I downloaded the file and restored it to flash drive using transmac, but my mac book is not reading it as a bootable drive.

note that i have the Mavericks installed and Ihave Mountain lion on usb. will that be a problem? (Holding the alt tab only gives me the Macintosh drive and the recovery drive)

Last edited by xerxes (August 22 2014)

#13 August 22 2014

AvoK95

Try using my guide link.

Board footer