LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#226 July 23 2014

DNA

Re: AliExpress in Lebanon

no for real i am not joking, shipments will take longer time now until they get new employees, anyways Libanpost is a very shitty company with respect to sorting and stuff 80% of work is manual no sorting machines whatsoever, eventually you're packages will be delivered its a matter if time

#227 July 24 2014

chosen2k

This has nothing to do with Libanpost. It's about the customs. All parcels will go through customs, they will probably get randomly priced for customs and then upon delivery you pay libanpost who in return will pay the customs.

That's all folks.

#228 July 24 2014

ironman

i met the libanpost delivery guy, and said that all items are stuck at the customs, and he doesn't know when they will be released.

#229 July 24 2014

DNA

Guys there is something you don't understand the customs is part of LibanPost there is a desk inside the sorting department in which couple of customs persons see the packages and it is the job of LibanPost employees to pass the parcels through the X-ray machine at the customs desk and show them the packages, so if LibanPost is slow so will be the customs.

#230 July 30 2014

genghis

Any updates guys?

#231 July 30 2014

rolf

ali.bassam wrote:

Those who already bought something through AliExpress, I have some questions, I never bought something online, is there a 100% guarantee that you'll get the thing?

No

#232 July 30 2014

MD Maarawi

rolf wrote:
ali.bassam wrote:

Those who already bought something through AliExpress, I have some questions, I never bought something online, is there a 100% guarantee that you'll get the thing?

No

Will this also apply for orders from Amazon and Ebay, Because i had an order from aliexpress that hasn't arrived, and i was thinking maybe  it's their fault, but after asking them and the dealer, they both confirmed that the shipment was made, and it's probably in customs

and i wanted to get some stuff from Amazon, so i guess it won't work

But what about DHL, i know i have to pay more, but will i receive the goods

i've never ordered items online in Lebanon before, but if the address is correct, (Mar Elias...) is Liban post responsible of delivering the parcels, or is there something that I have to do or request to receive the item @home?

#233 July 31 2014

edwed

MD Maarawi wrote:
rolf wrote:
ali.bassam wrote:

No

Will this also apply for orders from Amazon and Ebay, Because i had an order from aliexpress that hasn't arrived, and i was thinking maybe  it's their fault, but after asking them and the dealer, they both confirmed that the shipment was made, and it's probably in customs

and i wanted to get some stuff from Amazon, so i guess it won't work

But what about DHL, i know i have to pay more, but will i receive the goods

i've never ordered items online in Lebanon before, but if the address is correct, (Mar Elias...) is Liban post responsible of delivering the parcels, or is there something that I have to do or request to receive the item @home?

Concerning Aliexpress, the problem isn't because of Aliexpress, mostly items arrive. But weeks ago, Libanpost aren't processing parcels. They said, they will apply a new rule: Parcels will all pass by customs for clearance. This means: you mostly have to pay taxes on the items you order and the delivery will take much more time. (before applying that rule, parcels from China were taking 4 to 6 weeks to arrive, now I guess it will take 6 to 8 weeks).

For DHL (and all Express shipping), you have to pay clearance and TVA on all your items. Delivery is much more fast and guaranteed.

#234 July 31 2014

edwed

genghis wrote:

Any updates guys?

Yes, I ordered many items via Chinapost, nothing arrived since 2 months.
I ordered via Sweden post, items on hold in customs for clearance since 2 weeks.
Libanpost said, starting next week, processing will be started again, applying the new rules (all items pass by customs for clearance and when item delivered to you, you have to pay the taxes on it to libanpost).

#235 July 31 2014

Louis40

Guys, according to the tracking number my item is at the Lebanese customs for clearance since 22/07/2014. This morning i passed by Libanpost where my PObox is and i found a notification from the customs that i have to pass by them at the Airport to pay the fees which is 9,900LBP.
But, there is a possibility that i would pay more since there are many fees to add on their chart, such as the Storage fees if it stays more than 6 days and this is my case, in addition, the customs fees beside the Libanpost fees..

Will keep you posted..

#236 July 31 2014

edwed

Guys I just called Libanpost, they said: all items will pass by customs, and they will be responsible for processing and delivery (not us). This means, they will pay the fees and process the items in customs, then they will deliver it to us and we pay the fees. The problem now, this will take a lot of time, and we will pay a lot. Why I have to pay 6$ taxes for an item costing 3$. I ordered around 50 items costing less than 300$, is it fair to pay 300$ taxes on it? That's not acceptable!!!!!!!!!!

#237 July 31 2014

chosen2k

Apparently the customs didn't send anything to Libanpost from 7/7/2014

This is why everything is stuck I will try to get my packages myself instead of waiting for libanpost. (I will try to get my hands on the customs paper and then go myself to the airport.). However all Libanpost lines are busy so I'm not sure what would happen if i go directly to the airport.

Last edited by chosen2k (July 31 2014)

#238 July 31 2014

edwed

chosen2k wrote:

Apparently the customs didn't send anything to Libanpost from 7/7/2014

This is why everything is stuck I will try to get my packages myself instead of waiting for libanpost. (I will try to get my hands on the customs paper and then go myself to the airport.). However all Libanpost lines are busy so I'm not sure what would happen if i go directly to the airport.

This morning I called them, I waited 3 minutes on phone, you have to keep the line on and wait till they answer.
I asked them if I can do it by myself, they said no, they will process items in customs and deliver it to us, and they have a lot of parcels waiting, this will take too much time :(
Please let us know if you did anything.

By the way, I just contacted aliexpress, and they said all what we have to do is to open dispute, I said there is thousands of Lebanese customers having the same problem and I explained what is happening, but no positive answers, they keep replying: open dispute.

#239 July 31 2014

chosen2k

Called Libanpost, the lady said "depends on your luck if you go to the airport".

Anyways she also said that they re-started delivering items that are getting released from customs. So now it's wait and see

#240 July 31 2014

ironman

so now customs want to rip off more money, interesting :)

#241 July 31 2014

rtwo2008

The word around the block is that the aliexpress/dx thing is really hurting lebanese businesses, not only traders (tojjar), and importers from turkey, but also the local lebanese factories of shoes, dresses, etc... no one can compete with the super low wages of the chinese factory workers and the super low profit margins of the online sellers on aliexpress/dx.

Which is why customs are doing this (along with make more money of course...), but one thing is odd: parcels for private use are not subject to tax as per the law; so to add tax to them the law should be changed. Doesn't this require a parliamentary decision? or is it a decision of one man behind a desk...

Even Libanpost themselves are not happy, because their own employees across all levels order alot of items from aliexpress as well.

#242 July 31 2014

chosen2k

Well when you see the aliexpress items in the stores for 1000% of their price and all the retailers selling their turkey and chinese products for 1000% profit then of course everyone is going to ditch them for cheaper sources. F**kin' greed.

#243 July 31 2014

rtp

i agree with chosen2k, the problem is that the shops are extremely expensive, they buy a shirt for $5 and sell it for $90. I know, shops have to pay for electricity, staff etc... but the prices are ridiculous!

#244 July 31 2014

edwed

Man I spend an hour chatting with Aliexpress employee (via help center), I told them that they will loose all theirs customers in Lebanon because of that, and all what they say: Open dispute! I did, and sellers reply: Wait and be patient...
I don't want my items anymore, if I have to pay 200% taxes on an item, since the items I order cost less than 10$ each.
They should notify us before applying this rule, or at least applying it on new orders not on orders done 2 months ago, that's not fair at all :(

#245 August 1 2014

Louis40

I went to the libanpost customs at the airport since my item is there. There is a lady controller who decides which parcel should be stopped or not. I have to admit mine was obvious. So they asked me what's in the parcel i told them the truth although they know what's in there since they have a scanner, they just want to see if you are sincere or not. I have asked around some of the uniforms guys (customs) why such delays in delivering, he said every item arriving from aliexpress must be scanned and determine if it is taxable or not, we are being very strict now thus the delay..I told them ok, that way i will stop ordering from outside, he goes as you wish..
There was a guy waiting to make his parcel released, he ordered educational books from Amazone and they gave him troubles for releasing them.. can't believe this..
Btw, libanpost employees back there are not happy at all about these procedures..
If i know how to post my notification from the customs in here, i would have done it..

#246 August 1 2014

chosen2k

@edwed you have all the rights to refuse to accept an item. Whenever you receive an item with illogical customs prices you can just say that you don't want this. So libanpost will ship it back to china.

Note that you are not doing something illegal or anything. The problem that remains is getting your money back from aliexp and I don't think it will be a problem.

I have a bunch of items that cost 1$, I'll be returning them all in case customs are 9.000 l.l

#247 August 1 2014

edwed

Louis40 wrote:

I went to the libanpost customs at the airport since my item is there. There is a lady controller who decides which parcel should be stopped or not. I have to admit mine was obvious. So they asked me what's in the parcel i told them the truth although they know what's in there since they have a scanner, they just want to see if you are sincere or not. I have asked around some of the uniforms guys (customs) why such delays in delivering, he said every item arriving from aliexpress must be scanned and determine if it is taxable or not, we are being very strict now thus the delay..I told them ok, that way i will stop ordering from outside, he goes as you wish..
There was a guy waiting to make his parcel released, he ordered educational books from Amazone and they gave him troubles for releasing them.. can't believe this..
Btw, libanpost employees back there are not happy at all about these procedures..
If i know how to post my notification from the customs in here, i would have done it..

You were able to get your item(s) directly from airport? if yes, what was the procedure? and you pay taxes or not?!

#248 August 1 2014

edwed

chosen2k wrote:

@edwed you have all the rights to refuse to accept an item. Whenever you receive an item with illogical customs prices you can just say that you don't want this. So libanpost will ship it back to china.

Note that you are not doing something illegal or anything. The problem that remains is getting your money back from aliexp and I don't think it will be a problem.

I have a bunch of items that cost 1$, I'll be returning them all in case customs are 9.000 l.l

Yes I also have many items costing 1$, so I will do the same in such situation.
But I'm not sure for the new rules from Libanpost if you can say "I don't want to take my items and pay for it" since they pay instead of us for customs!

#249 August 2 2014

Louis40

@Edwed
No i didn't get it out. Plz note my item is really special unlike the others..
In general if they ask you to visit them it's for a payment and give you your stuff..

#250 August 5 2014

edwed

hi guys any news?

Board footer