LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#251 July 22 2014

wollyka

Re: Feedback for IDM

Now i am on stock (rooted) and heavily modified using xposed, custom recovery and a custom kernel. I will try Android L later.
I was on CM, slimkat, OmniROM,AOKP and Paranoid. I like switching

#252 July 22 2014

TechXero

wollyka wrote:

Now i am on stock (rooted) and heavily modified using xposed, custom recovery and a custom kernel. I will try Android L later.
I was on CM, slimkat, OmniROM,AOKP and Paranoid. I like switching

Running Mahdi ROM for which I run the download server and am a Moderator of their G+ community. I did not need to switch to any ROM since using Mahdi for 9 months now simply coz it has all best features from all ROMs combined. All that while remaining smooth n lightning fast.

Anyway good to hear that there are some Nexus owners here that do understand the whole reason behind Android. Not just run stock n just own a Nexus to say they do.

Let's not get carried away here n drag this thread where it don't belong. Sorry. We can talk more on Skype if you want.

Last edited by TechXero (July 22 2014)

#253 July 22 2014

wollyka

Speedtest now @ 7 pm
3640973708.png

#254 July 22 2014

TechXero

wollyka wrote:

Well here's why I don't trust speedtest.net, it still says 1.9mbs except in reality I can't even post anything on my site due to the messed up FUP. I think that service bypasses FUP and only shows what plan you are one. Seriously.

#255 July 22 2014

wollyka

True, but my http downloads are back to normal. The speeds on my phone (Google play) are as they should be  (300 Kb/s) , not the disastrous 20 KB/s i was getting.
There was an awful congestion like the tech support admitted, and speedtest.net at least showed it.

Last edited by wollyka (July 22 2014)

#256 July 22 2014

andrew55

4 is too high. they must be giving you more than 4096 on your modem stats.

#257 July 22 2014

wollyka

yes it is  4797Kbps down exactly and 894 Kbps up

#258 July 22 2014

andrew55

Makes sense. I wonder why 4797?

#259 July 22 2014

wollyka

Have no idea, it was 1095 up and 4096 down before, then 1095 up and 4396 down and now this!
Edit: before i mean 2 weeks ago

Last edited by wollyka (July 22 2014)

#260 July 22 2014

andrew55

You must be connected to a large CO. I can't get more than 4095/509.

#261 July 22 2014

wollyka

Mazraa CO in Beirut. Yes, it should be large. However, till last week, it wasn't fully upgraded to support more than 4 Mbps. I think now it isn't the case

#262 July 22 2014

m0ei

They changed my plan yesterday to 2mbps 50gb, even though I chose the 6mbps 60gb plan.

Lets do the math a bit:
2mb 50gb costs 25$
2mb unlimited costs 50$

So far I spent in total 31gb, I have 19gb left till the end of the month, which are more than enough for me. This way, IDM scammed 25$ easily from me.

The internet yesterday was perfect, exactly the same speed I had before this shitty upgrade thing. Today the speed dropped to 1mbps. Download speed is around 120kb/s.

#263 July 23 2014

TechXero

m0ei wrote:

They changed my plan yesterday to 2mbps 50gb, even though I chose the 6mbps 60gb plan.

Lets do the math a bit:
2mb 50gb costs 25$
2mb unlimited costs 50$

So far I spent in total 31gb, I have 19gb left till the end of the month, which are more than enough for me. This way, IDM scammed 25$ easily from me.

The internet yesterday was perfect, exactly the same speed I had before this shitty upgrade thing. Today the speed dropped to 1mbps. Download speed is around 120kb/s.

That's very odd. Limited plans have no FUP. And the speed upgrade should begin 1st of August given your CO supports the chosen plan. They need to do feasibility studies first. That's how they found out that my CO cannot handle more than 2mbps (Beit Merry).

#264 July 23 2014

wollyka

It seems there is an awful trend. Speedtest shows speeds less than 1 Mbps (on a 4 Mbps plan) from noon till 6 or 7 pm where it will be back to normal! The reason is congestion! My upload is faster than my download lol
0.56/0.8

Last edited by wollyka (July 23 2014)

#265 July 23 2014

TechXero

wollyka wrote:

It seems there is an awful trend. Speedtest shows speeds less than 1 Mbps (on a 4 Mbps plan) from noon till 6 or 7 pm where it will be back to normal! The reason is congestion! My upload is faster than my download lol
0.56/0.8

I told you do not trust the Speedtest.net site, it's inaccurate. It now shows me this as always but reality of the matter is that I cannot watch YouTube in 240p. Also I am now on 2mbps 45gb plan so FUP shouldn't be.

3642778774.png

After careful testing, I have noticed the following. After using nearly 1.7gb during peak hours ISP, in this case IDM, starts limiting all single threaded downloads, video/audio streaming services to a crawl.

Therefore, when I set IDM to 16 threads download goes at 2mbps stable, anything from single thread to 8 varies between 0.8mbps to 1mbps for me that is. For some reason it has to be 16 threads. May vary per user.

#266 July 23 2014

andrew55

This is something that IDM is doing. I don't think it's because of speed test.. Then again when i turn on VPN, I sometimes get 17 Mbps which is highly inaccurate!

#267 July 23 2014

wollyka

Techxero, I know. Downloads using accelerators or torrents are not affected. However, IDM is doing that anyways during peak hours. I used 300 Mb all day yesterday so it is not based on your download. By doing that they are affecting browsing /using apps on your mobile and streaming. Maybe I have to stream something for work during the peak hours what to do? Sorry I can't do that since I have a 4mbps connection but in reality it is 512 kps!

#268 July 23 2014

TechXero

wollyka wrote:

Techxero, I know. Downloads using accelerators or torrents are not affected. However, IDM is doing that anyways during peak hours. I used 300 Mb all day yesterday so it is not based on your download. By doing that they are affecting browsing /using apps on your mobile and streaming. Maybe I have to stream something for work during the peak hours what to do? Sorry I can't do that since I have a 4mbps connection but in reality it is 512 kps!

Same issue here. I am trying to learn Ubuntu via live Courses. But sadly single threaded so peak hours when the live courses take place IDM limiting us. Just coz they decided to.

It's kinda illogical, as usual in Lebanon they do things backwards. Why? Coz peak hours as they decided is from noon to 6/7pm exactly when everyone is busy at work and will not be using the Internet. Very clever.... NOT!

I hate this place!

#269 July 23 2014

wollyka

True, you have to apply for a 8 Mbps plan to get 1, of course only if you live inside a CO!

#270 July 23 2014

TechXero

wollyka wrote:

True, you have to apply for a 8 Mbps plan to get 1, of course only if you live inside a CO!

Lol yeah. Terrible just terrible

#271 July 23 2014

nosense

wollyka wrote:

I sent you a pm if you didn't notice

#272 July 23 2014

wollyka

aliessayli2 wrote:
wollyka wrote:

I sent you a pm if you didn't notice

Didn't see it from my phone. :) sent you a reply

Last edited by wollyka (July 23 2014)

#273 July 24 2014

TechXero

Hey peeps.

Funny fact I discovered, dunno how long it will last, but, since switching back to limited, I haven't suffered any FUP, my connection been rock solid day n night.

The funny thing I noticed, is that, ever since switching back, IDM ain't counting the time I stream in. For example, yesterday, I have streamed 2 hours on Comedy Central app on my iPad, in 480p, my mom streamed 3 hours on YouTube too. That must have totaled at least a gig or more.

And when we weren't streaming I downloaded like 980mb on my PC. I wake up today, check consumption, they only counted the 980mb I downloaded on my PC not the streaming. To make sure, I did the same today and so far they have not yet included my 4 hours of streaming.

Weird eh?

#274 July 24 2014

wollyka

Weird, because here they count the streaming as normal.

Last edited by wollyka (July 24 2014)

#275 July 24 2014

TechXero

wollyka wrote:

Weird, because here they count the streaming as normal.

cC8vGQ3.png

As you can see what am saying is true. The 1.4gb you see for today is PC only not streaming. I got the OSX Yosemite update and other crap.

Board footer