LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 April 22 2014

Obviously

So I want to purchase a printer

My dad kept nagging on me to find him the best printer for the best price. I went on Google and did my research. But I am still confused.

I checked PCandParts, Khoury Home, Abed Tahan etc. And the "experts" there did not help at all.

Basically, I want a colour printer that I can print on through wifi.

As far as I understood, getting a laser printer, which would cost a lot more than an ink printer, would be better on the long run, as we would not have to keep re-filling it with ink. We don't print on a daily basis, but we do our fair share of printing every week.

So I am not sure if I got for the cheaper option, and just re-fill the ink, or pay almost double, and get a laser printer.

And do laser printers malfunction regularly? And when they do, do they cost a lot to fix? I heard they cost less to replace sometimes. I've never owned a laser printer before, and barely used them on campus, because they seemed to malfunction regularly, but that might have been because some students really didn't know how to properly use a printer.

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

#2 April 23 2014

AvoK95

Re: So I want to purchase a printer

I got an Inkjet printer 2 years ago, and now I wish I got a laser printer instead. You think dealing with ink cartage is gonna be pain free, but trust me it really isn't. Especially when the sponge in the cartage doesn't hold the ink anymore and start leaking everywhere and making a big mess in the printer, your hands, your pages and the mechanism inside the printer making every print job you do have a big ink stain on the paper.

We had a laser printer in the shop I used to work for, and it was hassle free. The toner costs around $60, but the toner was used for 5 years at the time (This was 2 years ago) and it's still the same toner being used. To print out forms and everything. However ours wasn't a color printer. I think color printers come in much bigger sizes if I'm not mistaken.

So bottom line, get a laser, and use it forever hassle free for years and years. I have a client who has an 8 year old laser printer and he prints newspapers.

Downside to laser printers:
- Some printers won't run on a 5A generator
- They're expensive at first

#3 April 23 2014

MrClass

Get this from PC and Parts:

HP LaserJet Pro 200 Color MFP M276NW (printer, scanner, copier& Fax) -ADF- Network- Wireless

It will cost a shy more than 400$ but totally worth it. I got 2 for work and they haven't failed us for months. The toners are powder so you don't have to worry about ink being concentrated over time.

2 issues though; if you're printing a high res photo, the print job might take an additional 1-3 minutes to process. But the result is great.

Also, the toners ain't cheap. Each color will set you back 80$. So that's 320$ for changing all colors. But, you can change each color separately; so no wasted cartridges like those tri-colored ones. And, the toners last long. We have 20 people printing on one of these machines and I really don't remember that last time we changed the toners. Every print job works. No paper jams, no discoloration, no headaches.

#4 April 23 2014

Tarek
Banned

First you need to know your needs and network :
if you want better colored printing , you should get an inkjet printer
if you want faster colored printing , you should get a laser printer
do you want to print borderless pictures , print on CDs , have airprint , e-print ..
do you have a large printing quantity , A3 , A4 , etc

answer these and I can help you

HP wireless machines doesn't work if you have multiple access points with the same SSID

#5 April 23 2014

Obviously

Thanks for the input!

Tarek wrote:

First you need to know your needs and network :
if you want better colored printing , you should get an inkjet printer
if you want faster colored printing , you should get a laser printer
do you want to print borderless pictures , print on CDs , have airprint , e-print ..
do you have a large printing quantity , A3 , A4 , etc

answer these and I can help you

HP wireless machines doesn't work if you have multiple access points with the same SSID

I am not that concerned with the quality of coloured printing. It's just your typical home printer where we will mostly print documents, photocopy or scan stuff.

"do you want to print borderless pictures , print on CDs , have airprint , e-print .." I don't think these are important either

And no, we don't print in large quantities. We don't print on a regular basis, just sometimes my dad might need to print a 30 page document, or sometimes we need to photocopy passports/IDs etc.

Also, we only have one router, so the multiple access points with the same SSID is not a concern.

#6 April 23 2014

Tarek
Banned

This HP LaserJet Pro 100 color MFP M175nw is cheap,good quality print ,very low noise levels ,with autofeeder.,scanner and copier
The cartridges are a bit expensive and the machine is not very fast ..
It is a beautiful small machine for home environment .

Board footer