LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 March 7 2013

TheIlluminative

Register a name as a trademark

Hello,

I have a website and I want to protect its name. How can I register the name as a trademark so no one will ever use it? and how much will it cost?

Thanks!

#2 March 7 2013

AvoK95

Re: Register a name as a trademark

Writing "(TM)" at the end of the name would make a great start.

Last edited by AvoK95 (March 7 2013)

#3 March 7 2013

Gamer

http://www.economy.gov.lb/index.php/serviceSubCat/2/7/2
Kindly note that there is local TM and International

#4 March 7 2013

Nabs

@TheIlluminative, do keep in mind that if you decide to register a name, you'll have to also get a "ra2em meleh", if you're planning to use it for commercial purposes.

#5 March 7 2013

Kassem

We've created a portal for the ministry of economy at work. One of the services provided by the website is trademark registration. I'm not sure whether it is online for the public yet because I'm no longer involved in this project (left the team long time ago and moved to other projects). I will ask around for you.

#6 March 8 2013

TheIlluminative

Thanks guys.

Not it's just to protect the name. There's a company asked me to sell my website, but I said no and I am afraid of them registering the name before me.

So how can i do it?

Thanks!

#7 March 8 2013

Gamer

Just go to link i posted earlier or hire a lawyer to speed things up

#8 March 8 2013

Kassem

Ok so I asked the Product Owner of the project and he said that the Trademark Registration module is online for the public. You can submit your application here: https://portal.economy.gov.lb/

The other modules are actually done but not yet ready for production because they are undergoing UAT.

#9 March 9 2013

TheIlluminative

Thanks a lot.

Kassem I saw your link and I went with the steps and I found that it's for registering a logo or something. I think I did a mistake. What I want really is register my domain name under my name. So no one will ever use it.

Is that a trademark or copyrights?

#10 March 9 2013

Kassem

I am not very sure but the trademark registration module allows you to register a domain name (it could be a .com.lb [which gives you a 50% discount on expenses] or anything else). In order to register a domain name, once you reach the categories step, make sure you choose Category 35, and filter down the sub-categories to "تسجيل موقع على شبكة الانترنت".

Note though that the categories step was not really meant for common people registering their own trademarks. It was meant for the ministry employees and professionals (lawyers, proxies...etc). So try to choose only the right categories for you in order to avoid paying too much for the Official Gazette declaration.

#11 March 9 2013

Joe

@Kassem, there's a problem with the SSL certificate on this website/module. It's still signed by Tarek. Maybe you should warn someone about it.

#12 March 9 2013

Kassem

rahmu wrote:

@Kassem, there's a problem with the SSL certificate on this website/module. It's still signed by Tarek. Maybe you should warn someone about it.

Yeah that's actually the certificate we use during development. I will notify the Product Owner on Monday. Thanks for mentioning that.

Board footer