LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#3151 July 8 2014

hussam

Re: Feedback for VISP

iron wrote:

Online ping with Real ip is around 150ms and without it is 70ms anything wrong with real ip's nuclearcat?

What kind of download speeds are you getting?

#3152 July 8 2014

hussam

I get 156ms icmp ping to game server in canada but 355 to 500ms ingame ping (port 2000). it's been high ping since last evening.
At the beginning of the month, i was getting 160s ingame ping.

Last edited by hussam (July 8 2014)

#3153 July 8 2014

iron

I have a 4mb connection I had  great ping(60-70ms) but only 64KB download at day time and torrents were disabled so I got a real IP the other day and Download speed isnt improved much still 60-100kb and ping is 120-180. only benefit it seems is you can download torrents with real IP :(

and yes icmp ping to europe is 70ms too but ingame its a different story.

#3154 July 8 2014

hussam

Around 20 to 32kbytes now. Was a constant 120kbytes/second at the beginning of the month and I managed to get a few pending downloads done. but since last night, ping went high too.
I am getting a phone line soon so the option of moving to DSL is still there.

Game ping is in 3000s now. eventhough ICMP ping is 161ms....

Last edited by hussam (July 8 2014)

#3155 July 9 2014

hussam

Can something be done at least about the latency? it suddenly turned really bad at 11AM and now 1500+ ms spikes.

#3156 July 9 2014

nuclearcat

On ISP level it is fine, most probably link to your building affected. It is endless issue and i am unable to solve it permanently. I suggest to install ADSL (and maybe better to use Ogero for gaming), since it will be endless issue and additionally we shut down long time broadband project for end-users, it is not profitable to have headache with unregulated RF space in Lebanon for few customers in building, we are just keeping old users who doesn't have alternatives - to not leave them without internet.
Sure if you plan to stay longer time i can ask wireless guys to fix connection to ur building, but it will help for a while only.

#3157 July 9 2014

iron

Real IP ping seems better today 80-100 thank you nuclearcat I hope it remains that way!!

Edit: It is still fluctuating to 160 sometimes but better overall.

Last edited by iron (July 9 2014)

#3158 July 9 2014

nuclearcat

Latency now (peak time, some equipment need upgrade), i will work on this issue. But probably will take time.

#3159 July 10 2014

iron

Take your time rarely people listen and help their customers in lebanon so im grateful.

#3160 July 10 2014

hussam

nuclearcat wrote:

On ISP level it is fine, most probably link to your building affected. It is endless issue and i am unable to solve it permanently. I suggest to install ADSL (and maybe better to use Ogero for gaming), since it will be endless issue and additionally we shut down long time broadband project for end-users, it is not profitable to have headache with unregulated RF space in Lebanon for few customers in building, we are just keeping old users who doesn't have alternatives - to not leave them without internet.
Sure if you plan to stay longer time i can ask wireless guys to fix connection to ur building, but it will help for a while only.

I am going to get a phone line soon. Is VISP DSL better?
I asked someone in my building and he told me he will figure out which CO I can go to by tomorrow morning.

Last edited by hussam (July 10 2014)

#3161 July 13 2014

nuclearcat

I think VISP is not better. For your requirements Ogero is better, honestly. But it depends on luck, Ogero is not very responsive, in case you face some problems.

#3162 July 13 2014

NuclearVision

ANY DSL is better than stupid cable connection :)

#3163 July 14 2014

hussam

NuclearVision wrote:

Not really if they throttle ports used in online games too on DSL.
And this last upgrade really messed things up.

Last edited by hussam (July 14 2014)

#3164 July 14 2014

vengeance666

hussam wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

It's none of my business but .. Cable connection is just terrible no matter who provides it. I was with VISP for 5 6 years and must say : the last 2 were an abomination of internet. 2 years since I left them and never complained about ping or lower speed than I am paying for ( must mention almost 100% uptime .. No outages ). I still know people who still have VISP here and ... Really bad , I can't imagine dealing with that anymore.

#3165 July 15 2014

iron

Hello nuclearcat, real ip online ping is up again these couple of days all the time again.

#3166 July 15 2014

iron

vengeance666 wrote:
hussam wrote:
NuclearVision wrote:

It's none of my business but .. Cable connection is just terrible no matter who provides it. I was with VISP for 5 6 years and must say : the last 2 were an abomination of internet. 2 years since I left them and never complained about ping or lower speed than I am paying for ( must mention almost 100% uptime .. No outages ). I still know people who still have VISP here and ... Really bad , I can't imagine dealing with that anymore.

Visp has its tons of problems for sure but lets say if you want to play a game that has ingame built in voicechat, you can only use it with Visp Real ip. Dsl's dont work and if everything is going smoothly ping is better than DSL.

#3167 July 15 2014

NuclearVision

@iron about the voice chat thing, it's not correct. I played an mmorpg used voice chat on ogero and cable internet, no real ips..
Also used teamspeak, no problems.

#3168 July 15 2014

Tarek
Banned

I wonder how many visp equipment need upgrade!

#3169 July 15 2014

nuclearcat

NuclearVision - on Ogero SIP based chat with high chance will not work.
With cable internet - it is not VISP generally, but resellers, who are very far from doing professional network. Their networks are nightmare and shame for me, but i have zero influence on resellers policy.

#3170 July 15 2014

nuclearcat

Tarek - we are growing, so we need constantly upgrades.

#3171 July 15 2014

Tarek
Banned

Cable will always be subpar to dsl ..

#3172 July 15 2014

hussam

iron wrote:

Visp has its tons of problems for sure but lets say if you want to play a game that has ingame built in voicechat, you can only use it with Visp Real ip. Dsl's dont work and if everything is going smoothly ping is better than DSL.

I have had a real IP from VISP for years now (before it was a paid addition). This is my 6th year using VISP.

Direct customer. No resellers in my area. But I get 5 to 20ms ping to internal VISP addresses. The unstable ping is to the outside world.
Outages which make me have to pay real money in a free online game to recover from dying to lag can be nerve wrecking sometimes.
At one point, I was almost banned because they thought the constant disconnections meant I was trying to macro.
Right now, I am still in the process of trying to figure out which CO to go for a phone line.
Then I will decide where to go next.

Last edited by hussam (July 15 2014)

#3173 July 15 2014

nuclearcat

hussam - ur issue, that u are single customer in building, and wireless to this building is not good.
And it is totally not feasible to install professional grade equipment that costs few thousands for single customer. Wireless in Lebanon is almost dead, we understood it 2 years ago. It was just a way to give internet for customers, who can't get DSL.

#3174 July 15 2014

vengeance666

iron wrote:
vengeance666 wrote:
hussam wrote:

That is not correct. I play Dota 2 and ingame voice chat works flawlessly. And I'm a former WoW player ( EU ) , played for a year and a half on DSL and used Teamspeak , Ventrillo , Raidcall and Mumble also flawlessly during the entire period.

#3175 July 15 2014

nuclearcat

vengeance666 - Ogero DSL?

Board footer