LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#326 July 26 2014

TechXero

Re: Feedback for IDM

wollyka wrote:

Yep yesterday and today no caps are applied, all is speedy and normal, Maybe because it is the weekend

Hope not. I hope it remains that way ;)

#327 July 26 2014

andrew55

Maybe it's set on the 4 & 8 Mbps plan and not the 1 and 2? but seriously my speed goes below 1 Mbps which is outrageous! I can't watch live TV or buffer youtube!

and yes i noticed it yesterday at night.. i guess it must be automatic...

#328 July 26 2014

TechXero

andrew55 wrote:

Maybe it's set on the 4 & 8 Mbps plan and not the 1 and 2? but seriously my speed goes below 1 Mbps which is outrageous! I can't watch live TV or buffer youtube!

and yes i noticed it yesterday at night.. i guess it must be automatic...

Must be. Otherwise I got no clue. We can keep guessing what it could be and never get to the real reason.

#329 July 26 2014

andrew55

Actually IDM advised me last month to downgrade to a speedy 2 Mbps connection... wow.. I was going to tell them "no I'll start using Dial-up instead"...

#330 July 26 2014

TechXero

andrew55 wrote:

Actually IDM advised me last month to downgrade to a speedy 2 Mbps connection... wow.. I was going to tell them "no I'll start using Dial-up instead"...

Outch hapfing your speed calling it speedy. So wrong. But still of 4mbps is having stability issues 2mbps is better for sure. I never had anything faster nor can I it seems.

In that case 2mbps is speedy lol.

#331 July 26 2014

andrew55

June 3,2014

Dear Mr. Assaf,
Please note that your complaint below has been checked by our support team and that your problem is due to delay and slowness over browsing and streaming during peak time  . Unfortunately, there is no estimated time when it will be solved since there are some procedures as well as technical measures with the ministry of telecommunication that cannot be fixed in just a press button, and that is the reason behind the delay in resolving this problem.
If the traffic is not your main concern regarding the 4096k-25GB plan, we do recommend to downgrade your account to get use of a reliable speedy connection .

Please accept our apology and be sure that we are doing our best to provide our customers the best service and the best image of the internet providers and that every negative fact or issue is always beyond our capacity.

We are sincerely sorry, that we cannot help this time.

Thank you for your understanding,
Yours in service,

#332 July 26 2014

TechXero

Ok that's understandable.

I agree with that reply 100%. Now it's up to you. If you want stability downgrade coz I can vouch that 2mbps is extremely stable. You can always go back to 4mbps one it's more stable.

#333 July 26 2014

andrew55

Well it doesn't make any sense. If 2 Mbps is stable then my speeds shouldn't be going below 2 Mbps and i would be really ok with that. The speeds can return to 4 Mbps during non-peak hours. But that isn't the case.

#334 July 26 2014

TechXero

andrew55 wrote:

Well it doesn't make any sense. If 2 Mbps is stable then my speeds shouldn't be going below 2 Mbps and i would be really ok with that. The speeds can return to 4 Mbps during non-peak hours. But that isn't the case.

Not necessarily. But whatever, it's up to you. If you do unhappy try 2mbps or stay unhappy.

Dont get me wrong, it is sad how things are, but you gotta learn how to cope. Survive. Complaining all the time will just make things worse.

I am happy with 2mbps. I learned to live with fact I can't get more.

Last edited by TechXero (July 26 2014)

#335 July 26 2014

geekevo

Well techxoro no one forced them to sell packages they can't provide ogero didn't upgrade anyone to the higher speeds and gave everyone the 40GB plan. They could have at least warned the customers that they are buying an unstable plan.

#336 July 26 2014

sailor

TechXero wrote:
sailor wrote:

idm lady called me today telling that my speed will be upgrade to 4mb by 4 august
she said they will check if my line can handle 4mb then i will have it by 4 august my next cycle
my question here is when i called support the guy before he asked for my line attenuation and sr margin
then he said my line can handle 4mb
so what kind of ckeck do they need to do ?

I had the same thing happen to me too. Except as it turns out my CO can't handle 4mbps. So am stuck at 2mbps until I move if ever. In my case I got the email saying will be switched to 4mbps 1st of August. Then when I called CCU she told me it was a mistake and that my CO needs to be upgraded before it can support higher than 2mbos.

The check they need to do is with your CO see if they got the capacity to give from.

How to know if my CO can support higher than 2mb
The CO located near fantasy world airport area and am 1.5 km far away

#337 July 26 2014

TechXero

Well geekevo they were forced to upgrade as everyone was with exception of sodetel for some odd reason. That's what CCU told me.

@sailor

Just call IDM 1282 extension 2 and ask.

#338 July 27 2014

anthonyf96

101.96    545.72    July    18    View details
41.08    319.97    July    19    View details
72.92    609.54    July    20    View details
104.88    719.86    July    21    View details
97.76    1242.93    July    22    View details
0.58      62.69    July    23    View details
40.97    343.98    July    24    View details
13.1      281.85    July    25    View details
17.81    132.27    July    26    View details
0           0            July    27    View details

this has been my consumption for the past 10 days and yet I wake up and find that i got FUP'ed......

Can't understand how IDM is following its own terms since they said that when a user crosses THREE times the computed average of consumption FUP will be applied... I guess the computed average is 400 mB , 100mb, or even 20mB... can't wait till august 1 to get my limited plan and end this disaster.

#339 July 27 2014

NuclearVision

sailor wrote:

idm lady called me today telling that my speed will be upgrade to 4mb by 4 august
she said they will check if my line can handle 4mb then i will have it by 4 august my next cycle
my question here is when i called support the guy before he asked for my line attenuation and sr margin
then he said my line can handle 4mb
so what kind of ckeck do they need to do ?

May sound funny but I think they have access to your router.
Once my uncle called them and they changed his router password, on the PHONE!

#340 July 27 2014

NuclearVision

Unlimited internet in all its forms is complete disaster ;), it's indeed a big fail, a rip off and they think they're being smart asses.
We had quota issues in the past, where a GB would cost 10$ then 4$ now it's like 1.5$(I guess) we should stick with limited internet!

#341 July 27 2014

TechXero

NuclearVision wrote:

Unlimited internet in all its forms is complete disaster ;), it's indeed a big fail, a rip off and they think they're being smart asses.
We had quota issues in the past, where a GB would cost 10$ then 4$ now it's like 1.5$(I guess) we should stick with limited internet!

It sure is. Just came back to limited from unlimited and life is good again.

#342 July 27 2014

NuclearVision

Yeah I miss my ogero account where you could actually check how much bandwidth you use, unlike stupid wireless cable internet.
Too bad we don't have phone lines yet!

#343 July 27 2014

H.S

I've been monitoring the SNR margin for more than a month. It is fluctuating between day and night. It always goes lower at night. There is also a big difference in SNR (down) between the Linksys and the Thomson modem.

- Thomson ST516 V6 results: Attenuation:  down/up:  45.0 / 30.5
                                           SNR             down/up   24.5 / 33.0

- Cisco Linksys X3000 results: Attenuation:down/up    45.5 / 31.8
                                             SNR           down/up    7.2  / 32.2

In the day, the down SNR goes up to 33.0 dB on the Thomson, 15.0/17.0 dB on the Linksys. The lower results above were taken at night. Now based on the attenuation results, my line shouldn't handle more than 6mbps. The tech support at IDM told me that my line can handle more than 8mbps!

The questions I have:
- Why there is a fluctuation between day and night?
- Why the Thomson modem has a better down SNR? despite the fact that the Linksys is a better modem/router.
- IDM's test results contradicts the results I posted above, which is a good thing of course.

PS: Sometimes the down SNR fluctuates between 4.5 dB and 17.0 dB at night, but I didn't have a single disconnection yet.

Last edited by H.S (July 27 2014)

#344 July 27 2014

andrew55

Every modem behaves differently on each line. It can't be predicted which modem will work better. Apparently thompson adsl modems work perfectly well with lebanese lines. SNR fluctuates a lot during the day and night. Mine is usually between 27 and 32 db and this difference is more pronounced especially in the summer because of increased temperatures that will allow the copper wires to expand. Apparently your thompson is having a more stable connection whereas your linksys isn't so much due to the amount of noise on your line (due to long distance). During those episodes that you notice, do your rates change or are they stable? Your line is noisy and needs a robust broadcom chipset. I'd stick with the thompson if I were you...

If the CO can give you 8 Mbps IDM will give it to you (I think). I guess you are connected to a large CO.

#345 July 27 2014

H.S

@andrew55, The rates are always stable. I think that the Linksys uses a broadcom chipset. I stopped using the Thomson long time ago, the model I got doesn't have WiFi. Besides I have a 7ms lower latency on the Linksys.

#346 July 27 2014

andrew55

Yes the linksys is a good router. It probably won't gove you better ping than the thompson tg585. I personally have the billion 7800dxl. It gives me the same stats as my thompson but with an excellent firmware. I can also use SNR tweaking.

Anyway if you are happy with your connection then don't change anything. Try the 8 Mbps and see how your line handles it..

#347 July 27 2014

H.S

Actually it was an expensive router. But I won't hesitate to get any other router that might help in reducing the latency. Heard a lot of good feedback for the Billion 7800. Actually I asked for the 4mbps plan. The IDM tech support made an immediate test on my line, it took him around five minutes, then he told me that my line can definitely handle 4mbps and even 8mbps if I want. I will get a reconfirm probably tomorrow/next week because my cycle ends 1st of August. My line is still under feasibility test.

#348 July 27 2014

andrew55

I want the 8 M package but IDM says my line can't handle it. My attainable rate is around 16 Mbps which means that my CO isn't equiped to give speeds more than 4 Mbps. Hopefully you'll get the speed that you want. Post back what happens with your feasibility study...

#349 July 27 2014

H.S

I see, thanks will do.

#350 July 28 2014

TechXero

I guess am the unlucky one. My CO can't handle anything faster than 2mbps. My SNR margin on G.dmt is below average plus am 4km away from CO so you got that too. Still as long as I can stream 24/7 am good I guess.

Board footer