LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1 May 15 2014

LifeEngineer

Guys I need your opinion - new car advice

So i want to buy a new car (used car) and i hope there are some car geeks in here!

Let's get down to it directly :

1-Hyundai elantra 2013
35000km
13200$
Needs a new paint (hdede w boya) and a new headlight, si around 1000$
Registration 1350$
In total: around 15500$

2-Honda civic 2009
77000km
11500$
Needs also a new paint and a quick check up, so around 1000$
Registration around 1000$
In total: around 13500$

Knowing that both are standard version with important basics (ABS, airbag, electric windows, radio cd etc...) and knowing that my budget is very limited but I'm willing to pay this extra in case it's really worth it,

Which will you get? And why?

Anyone has any experience with any of these 2 cars?

Thanks guys!

Last edited by LifeEngineer (May 15 2014)

#2 May 15 2014

Tarek
Banned

Re: Guys I need your opinion - new car advice

None...you can get better car for the same amount of cash

#3 May 15 2014

NuclearVision

For the price find a 230c Mercedes 2005 they are good cards, German engineering...
But I think the parts are expensive and it's hard to find a clean one.
Another advise would be: you're paying 15 thousands dollars, getting a car which needs painting and "7dede" is like "7aram"... God knows what problems exist inside of it, I mean if they painting is already gone.
Like tarek said, for 15k you could get a really decent sports car.
Good luck, and congratulations :)

#4 May 15 2014

LifeEngineer

I already have a decent sports car. At least in my eyes. Toyota celica model 2000 GTS manual silver, and wanting to sell it since I have a kid now and uit's no longer practical for me.

If anyone is interested PM me.

I am surprised no one did choose between those. I mean a Honda is still Japanese and good! Also Hyundai is between top 5 worldwide!
I like mercedes C180 /C230 car but as you said, it's still a mercedes and parts/maintenance will be more expensive as well as fuel consumption!

Thank goodness I didn't tell you about the Chery E5 or Geely EC7 that I liked and thinking about it too!
Both luxury chinese full options cars at 15500 and 16000$ new with registration and TVA!
Google it! It's really interesting especially that Geely bought Volvo a while ago!

Last edited by LifeEngineer (May 15 2014)

#5 May 15 2014

m_zeid

LifeEngineer wrote:

I already have a decent sports car. At least in my eyes. Toyota celica model 2000 GTS manual silver, and wanting to sell it since I have a kid now and uit's no longer practical for me.

If anyone is interested PM me.

I am surprised no one did choose between those. I mean a Honda is still Japanese and good! Also Hyundai is between top 5 worldwide!
I like mercedes C180 /C230 car but as you said, it's still a mercedes and parts/maintenance will be more expensive as well as fuel consumption!

Thank goodness I didn't tell you about the Chery E5 or Geely EC7 that I liked and thinking about it too!
Both luxury chinese full options cars at 15500 and 16000$ new with registration and TVA!
Google it! It's really interesting especially that Geely bought Volvo a while ago!

Chinese cars? you go check Proton from Malaysia. Gen 2 is the most famous one, and Preve is the new one!

#6 May 16 2014

LifeEngineer

@Tarek
Would you please give some examples?

#7 May 16 2014

rtp

nobody would sell a car they are happy with

i personally recommend a new car or a car that is used outside of lebanon and had an accident or something... at least you know that they were running on decent road, never the less buying a used car from anywhere is a big risk.

and to answer your question, i don't know to be honest.

Last edited by rtp (May 16 2014)

#8 May 16 2014

Metalloy

new car is the way to go mate.
maybe toyota yaris, nissan tiida, mazda 2...
basically close to your budget and it is new with guarantee and it will have higher satisfsction rate.

#9 May 16 2014

longbit

also you can find a bmw 325 or 318 e46 ( in a very good condition) if you are looking for an economical one, not as economic as hundai or kia but you get good looking car with some power under the bonnet.
IMO if you are not willing to keep that car with you for more than 5 years buy a bmw e36 318 IS, very good mileage and powerful, for 7000$ (super clean) and save the money... later on sell it, add some money to the money you already saved and get a brand new car.

#10 May 16 2014

LifeEngineer

Guys it's really a tricky case and a strong debate that I always hear! I am very confused!
Some say buy a new car whatever it is (according to the budget), at least got know it's new and it is under guarantee and you know the history and everything...
IOthers say nah, you will loose a lot as resale value! Buy a used car that already decreased a lot in price and it's better! Especially if it's a good car like bmw or mercedes...

Last edited by LifeEngineer (May 16 2014)

#11 May 16 2014

LifeEngineer

I did visit many car makers on Wednesday and here's a quick review for a basic car that at least includes 1 airbag and ABS:
-chery e5 1.8L automatic transmission 6 gears CVT,  leather full option 15500$
-geely embark ec7 1.8L automatic transmission 6 gears CVT, full option 16000$
-toyota yaris 1.5L automatic transmission 4 gears CVT 18200$
-nissan sunny 1.6L automatic transmission 4 gears CVT 16200$
-kia rio (if forgot engine specs)  automatic transmission 4 gears 16000$
-hyundai accent 1.6L automatic transmission 4 gears around 16000$ as I remember

Guys regarding the hyundai elantra, it's a medical equipment sales company car, and it's given to an employee as long as he is in the company. When leaving his car should be sold. This is one of thw cars and is still under warranty. The issue is that it was driven by a girl and it has the usual scratches and small hits all over its edge.  I will check it with a mechanic anyways!

#12 May 16 2014

Tarek
Banned

LifeEngineer wrote:

@Tarek

you can get a very clean Honda civic 2010 for 11000 $ .
a clean Nissan sunny 2013 for 12000$
a clean Nissan tiida 2009 for 10000$
a very clean Toyota Corolla 2010 for 12000$

you can find better prices of course .
I didn't mention USA cars ( you can get a 2009 325 for 18000 $ )
also I didn't mention Mercedes or BMW or Audi ,,,these are more expensive with higher repair costs ( but the resale price is better of course )

I know this is the trend but do not buy Chinese cars .. the 10 000$ car will be sold for 5000 $ in one year .

PS : a celica is NEVER a sports car .. NEVER !

#13 May 16 2014

LifeEngineer

Tarek wrote:
LifeEngineer wrote:

@Tarek

also I didn't mention Mercedes or BMW or Audi ,,,these are more expensive with higher repair costs ( but the resale price is better of course )

I know this is the trend but do not buy Chinese cars .. the 10 000$ car will be sold for 5000 $ in one year .

Can you please enlighten me where can I find such prices!?
I searched a lot and didn't find anything close to those!
A civic 2007 or 2008 is sold for 10 or 11000$!

:-) and why a celica is never a sports car!? To me it is more than many other supposed sports cars with similar budget!

Last edited by LifeEngineer (May 16 2014)

#14 May 16 2014

xerxes

CELICA Is a sports car (not Lamborghini LIKE sports car but it is), and it's a great car. actually more than great.

#15 May 16 2014

amkahal

Quick Advice: Go for German Engineering, Go for Mercedes.

#16 May 16 2014

Tarek
Banned

LifeEngineer wrote:
Tarek wrote:
LifeEngineer wrote:

@Tarek

Can you please enlighten me where can I find such prices!?
I searched a lot and didn't find anything close to those!
A civic 2007 or 2008 is sold for 10 or 11000$!

:-) and why a celica is never a sports car!? To me it is more than many other supposed sports cars with similar budget!

take a look at this : http://elmazad.com/item/honda-civic-2009/292372 I am sure u can go down to 11000 or less
also my cousin can get you cars from the states extremely cheap

#17 May 16 2014

LifeEngineer

Tarek wrote:

take a look at this : http://elmazad.com/item/honda-civic-2009/292372 I am sure u can go down to 11000 or less

Hehe! This is the honda civic I am talking about in the OP!

I called him and he told me it needs a repaint!

#18 May 16 2014

LifeEngineer

Tarek wrote:

Are these clean cars? Clean carfax and history?
I have been told about this and I can look into it...

#19 May 16 2014

Tarek
Banned

well I bought 3 cars from him .. all super duper

#20 May 16 2014

Metalloy

the new yaris is a great car and sont feel cheap at all.
chinese cars i would recommend avoiding as they are not really concerned when it comes to safety.
when it comes new vs new debate, well there is a benefit for each:
- used over new: obvious financial benefit as the car will not lose serious vakue anymore, and you can get higher class offerings so to speak.
- new over used: it is new, no surprises, no worries, and you buy what you want, guaranteed and it is probably the safest. plus you will go to garages a lot less, i bought both, old and new, and with used cars, no matter how clean and top condition they are, you will find yourself going to thr mechanic more often.

for me, i dont think ill go for used cars anymore, especially now we can find even the lower class models looks good and have a lot of bells and whistles. Most importantly, the peice of mind.

#21 May 16 2014

Obviously

A bit of advice:

- If you find a car used outside of Lebanon, always go for it. The roads here have too many potholes, and so they damage the car a lot more than you can imagine.

- The older the seller, the better (in terms of 10s. A 50 year old seller is better than a 20 year old seller). You know that MOST probably he wasn't putting too much strain on the engine.

- Japanese are better in terms of cheaper car parts, but not always better in terms of fuel consumption.

- Honda are known as the most reliable cars in the world. Hyundai are not bad, but Honda are a lot better.

- Something else to check is the rating these cars got in safety. I believe the Chinese cars you mentioned did not do so well (if I recall correctly). You should look into that, especially that you mentioned you have a kid now.

- Last but not least, a Celica is a sports car. If it is not, then the awesome Nissan GTR wouldn't be considered a sports car, and it's one of the best sports cars in the world. (Lamborghini is a hyper sports car, not a sports car. Just an fyi.)

- If I were you, I'd go for the Honda, given it hadn't gone through a major car crash or had major problems. Moreover, ask to drive it, and test it out. Different speeds, different gears, upslope, downslope, different speeds while going to the right and to the left, monitor how fuel it's consuming (might have a problem with some filters), monitor the temperature (might have a problem with its cooling system). Just Google what to do when trying out a used car.

Last edited by Obviously (May 16 2014)

#22 May 16 2014

ballad

Obviously wrote:

- Last but not least, a Celica is a sports car. If it is not, then the awesome Nissan GTR wouldn't be considered a sports car, and it's one of the best sports cars in the world. (Lamborghini is a hyper sports car, not a sports car. Just an fyi.)

lambo, sls, 458... are supercars
zonda, bugatti,koenigsegg... are hypercars

#23 May 16 2014

scorz

Since I am an American car owner. All I can say is go to American.
Yes I know about  fuel economy, no need to tell me.
Some parts are expensive? Yes.
Hard to repair? Yes.
But it's a beast on the road.

Benefits I have experienced:

1- It parts last forever: Engine, Brakes, suspension, fuel filter.. bla bla.

2- Road's stability and Handling: I hit about ~160km/h in my 21 years old Buick and you can't feel anything. It's like flying low.
PS: I drove German car before (Mercedes and BMW) and NO they are not more stable at high speed.
Anyone know an American car driver who was killed in accident? Maybe yes, but I'm sure you know more German/other car's driver dead because of speed. (I am not saying driving at high speed is good, but maybe sometimes you'll need to drive fast for serious reasons)

3- Comfort: I've been in a Maybach and Lamborghini Murciélago and yes I find my old fat ass car more comfortable
PS#2: Best comfortables cars I've been in are Cadillac Escalade and Lincoln Town Car.

So, If you care less about fuel economy (like I do) I'd suggest for your budget maybe a GMC Envoy / Chevrolet Cruze. And if you like a more "good looking car" maybe a Cadillac CTS/DTS.
I may buy soon one of these four car I listed.

#24 May 18 2014

Obviously

- Don't get a modern day produced American

One item to add to my list

Last edited by Obviously (May 18 2014)

Board footer