LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon

You are not logged in.

#1 May 24 2012

toxict51

Applying to LAU

this could be off topic thing... but its making me go crazy.
i applied to LAU in march and they told me that my school grades are good them being 15/20 for my 3 secondary years.
BUT, the problem is the SAT, i did it  twice the first time it was 390 reading, 460 math, 490 writing. they said it would be better if i redo, well in may 5 i redid it and got the following, 390:P reading again, 500 math and 490 writing. i told them abt it and they told me to wait for a couple of weeks for the reply, the thing is iam worried to my A** abt this. can anyone provide me with some help any LAU students that might tell me if the SAT scores will be enough. oh and btw i will be majoring in computer science.
any replies would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance....

Offline

#2 May 24 2012

practo

Re: Applying to LAU

I'm not sure about LAU specifically but 500 sounds a little low for a CompSci degree.

Offline

#3 May 24 2012

cmwic

Re: Applying to LAU

i advise you to do an EEE test , it is done at LAU

Offline

#4 May 25 2012

The-MMMs

Re: Applying to LAU

cmwic wrote:

i advise you to do an EEE test , it is done at LAU

Not anymore :)

That and the FE exam do not exist anymore due to accreditation standards

With that writing grade, you wont have to do remedial English, a noncredit course. You can take the 101, 102, 202 and 203 courses as well as the LAC-Lit requirement

As for LAU acceptance, they usually come out Mid-late June for the sophomore guys, your school grades are really good, just make sure you pass the governmental exams

Still, i wouldn't be so worried, it's not like you applied for the Engineering major. Usually speaking, those who fail the the acceptance for the engineering, as an example, are just thrown into CS major. Those who don't get the architecture major are put into graphic design; so on and so forth

LAU is somewhat flexible with the acceptance process, still im pretty sure you can score much better on the math part :S

I entered as a freshman, but many of my friends entered as sophomore; between us the lowest math grade was 550; im not trying to say that your grade is potentially bad, but still it isn't that hard to get better.

As for the reading i can't compare, im English educated and scored a 650 :P My writing grade was 500 and my math grade was 580

I did the SAT twice.

Still if you have any questions, please ask them. I have some buddies who work both between the admission office of both the Beirut and Byblos campuses'; still i wouldn't be so worried !

Last edited by The-MMMs (May 25 2012)

Offline

#5 May 25 2012

toxict51

Re: Applying to LAU

thanks for the replies guys... MMM, looks like ur an lau student a 650 on reading is impressive :p i dont knw how u managed to get it. Well i think my math will be enough snd writing as well, but iam worried about my reading if itll affect my acceptance... I tried asking them but they would not give me an accurate answer. What do u think will my reading be an obstacle?

Offline

#6 May 27 2012

The-MMMs

Re: Applying to LAU

toxict51 wrote:

thanks for the replies guys... MMM, looks like ur an lau student a 650 on reading is impressive :p i dont knw how u managed to get it. Well i think my math will be enough snd writing as well, but iam worried about my reading if itll affect my acceptance... I tried asking them but they would not give me an accurate answer. What do u think will my reading be an obstacle?

No i don't think so

I lived my childhood in England, and gained a habit of reading books and I've done that ever since; i don't read half as much as i used to before but that explains the 650

As for your assumption, that is correct, i'm an LAU student. I entered in 2009 as a freshman, and declared my Major in pharmacy in 2010 and been doing that ever since

Your combined Reading and Math grade = 890

It's not uncalled for students to have such grade levels. It would be a problem if your entering something like engineering, which is very competitive and requires both high school and SAT grades

Still your school grades are VERY good, and just pass what exams you have now and get your diploma. My friend graduated with a BS in Computer Science last year, i believe he entered in 2008 - he had very similar SAT grades yet very poor school grades (barely passing) he got in no problems. Then again that was back in 2008

Anyway, don't worry im sure you will be fine !

Last edited by The-MMMs (May 27 2012)

Offline

#7 May 28 2012

Badieh

Re: Applying to LAU

toxict51 wrote:

this could be off topic thing... but its making me go crazy.
i applied to LAU in march and they told me that my school grades are good them being 15/20 for my 3 secondary years.
BUT, the problem is the SAT, i did it  twice the first time it was 390 reading, 460 math, 490 writing. they said it would be better if i redo, well in may 5 i redid it and got the following, 390:P reading again, 500 math and 490 writing. i told them abt it and they told me to wait for a couple of weeks for the reply, the thing is iam worried to my A** abt this. can anyone provide me with some help any LAU students that might tell me if the SAT scores will be enough. oh and btw i will be majoring in computer science.
any replies would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance....

Since when LAU requires SAT? When I applied there all i did was an entrance exam (depending on grade 12), and TOEFL, but you can replace that with IEEE as well.

Offline

#8 May 28 2012

The-MMMs

Re: Applying to LAU

The entrance exams do not exist anymore

The TOEFL, IEEE, and EEE (when that existed), replace the SAT WRITING grade

Like i said, things have changed

It's still relatively easy to get accepted into LAU - but not as much as before.

Last edited by The-MMMs (May 28 2012)

Offline

Board footer