LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#826 November 7 2014

andrew55

Re: Feedback for Ogero

The quality of the phone lines in Lebanon for subscribers close to the CO isn't necessarily the major issue here. It's whether the CO is equipped with enough servers or not to withstand the extra bandwidth. Upgrading the equipment in the COs will allow for faster speeds and more available bandwidth.

ADSL2+ download speeds can reach 24 Mbps and ogero is only supplying subscribers with a maximum of 8. I honestly think that subscribers within 1 km of a well equipped CO and with decent phone lines can achieve 24 Mbps in this country. Ogero just needs to upgrade the COs. Seems like a difficult task for them to do...!

#827 November 7 2014

dio

Ill post both the Speedtest and the stats of my modem/router soon. Thanks guys.

#828 November 7 2014

makhoder

andrew55 wrote:

The quality of the phone lines in Lebanon for subscribers close to the CO isn't necessarily the major issue here. It's whether the CO is equipped with enough servers or not to withstand the extra bandwidth. Upgrading the equipment in the COs will allow for faster speeds and more available bandwidth.

ADSL2+ download speeds can reach 24 Mbps and ogero is only supplying subscribers with a maximum of 8. I honestly think that subscribers within 1 km of a well equipped CO and with decent phone lines can achieve 24 Mbps in this country. Ogero just needs to upgrade the COs. Seems like a difficult task for them to do...!

Most CO here in Lebanon still have problems with ADSL2+, here I force the modem to sync to ADSL2 only, the performance is better, less erros and better latency, our main problem is old equipaments. A good line in 1km range can easily handle 15mbps with good stats SNR.
Also the quality of the cables that they are using is horrible, they just dont care because Ogero is the only big ADSL provider.

Last edited by makhoder (November 7 2014)

#829 November 7 2014

hussam

andrew55 wrote:

That's not the only limitation. There isn't enough bandwidth coming into Lebanon to give many people 24Mbps. The only reason that people get more than 2Mbps is that not everyone has an internet connection. If everyone had an internet connection, we would be all at 2Mbps maximum speed.

Last edited by hussam (November 7 2014)

#830 November 7 2014

andrew55

@makhoder you're absolutely right. The worst copper wire should have a 13 db loss per km. I am around 1 km from my CO and get nearly double the loss meaning that there is significantly more loss than predicted regardless of where the extra loss is coming from. i am on G992.1 and get even better results with latency than G992.3 & G992.5.

@Hussam I honestly don't think that's an issue. Lebanon isn't using the entire bandwidth from the IMEWE & CADMOS submarine cables. In fact, Lebanon is only using a fraction of the bandwidth provided by these 2 cables and they can easily provide significantly more, provided that the Lebanese government pays more for the extra bandwidth, and that the bandwidth can be actually put to good use. Certainly paying for extra bandwidth isn't a good idea at this point in time because the infrastructure is so poor that it won't really transfer into faster speeds and higher caps.

#831 November 7 2014

hussam

andrew55 wrote:

@Hussam I honestly don't think that's an issue. Lebanon isn't using the entire bandwidth from the IMEWE & CADMOS submarine cables. In fact, Lebanon is only using a fraction of the bandwidth provided by these 2 cables and they can easily provide significantly more, provided that the Lebanese government pays more for the extra bandwidth, and that the bandwidth can be actually put to good use. Certainly paying for extra bandwidth isn't a good idea at this point in time because the infrastructure is so poor that it won't really transfer into faster speeds and higher caps.

Ok, thank you for explaining. Perhaps when they improve the infrastructure.
Right now Terra and Sodetel are licensed to import their own bandwidth to lower the load on Ogero. There is still a huge amount of 'cable guys' and they mostly get their bandwidth from Terra. If all 'cable guy' customers moved to Ogero, Ogero will have to purchase more bandwidth.
The issue in Lebanon is the lack of transparency. The government can probably afford to buy more bandwidth.

#832 November 7 2014

andrew55

you're right. Interestingly, Terra's CEO keeps complaining in interviews that ogero isn't supplying the well needed E1s. Also, sodetel postponed its upgrade awaiting extra E1s from the ministry as they said. So i really don't think they can easily get E1s without the ministry's approval.

Don't forget that even though, private companies "may" have the right to get their own bandwidth separately, they still can't really do major changes in the infrastructure. No private ISP can change phone lines or deploy fiber optic cables unless given the right to by government. The only thing sodetel can do is deploy its severs in some COs it gets access to, hence why it can offer 16 Mbps to a selected number of subscribers and even with that speed it still is struggling (check the sodetel thread).

Last edited by andrew55 (November 7 2014)

#833 November 7 2014

makhoder

Our main problem is the wires used by OGERO from the CO-DSLAM-Our houses. Not all lines are affected, I am between the lucky ones, I have over 30 SNR when syncing ADSL2+, can easily get the full 24mbps if they were provided. But not all people have the same luck, they just do not care if your stats are good or no.
By the quality of their equipments, for example when I walk here inside the city, I can easily find those boxes from where the wires come with broken doors w hek.
I think that the speeds are OK, our main problem is the quota, we need our unlimited night traffic back.

#834 November 7 2014

andrew55

Agreed. Although I would appreciate the faster speeds.

#835 November 7 2014

NuclearVision

they don't have enough backup bandwidth to provide europe-level internet quota. This will exhaust the actualy infrastructure, and the average user will suffer from lower speeds..

#836 November 7 2014

makhoder

andrew55 wrote:

Agreed. Although I would appreciate the faster speeds.

We all want faster speeds, but in my opinion 6-8MB with unlimited night traffic would be perfect.
I am using this plan now with 60gb, and the speed is very good and stable, including the latency.
I have around 750kbps-850kbps and 60-70ms to all server in europe when playing BF4 =D

#837 November 8 2014

andrew55

I can't get more than 4 Mbps. So I'd be happy with that kind of speed.

#838 November 9 2014

user

Guys, I am still on the 1mbps. They did not upgrade me to 2. Should I be calling someone or something?

#839 November 9 2014

Raficoo

user wrote:

Guys, I am still on the 1mbps. They did not upgrade me to 2. Should I be calling someone or something?

I had to call them to get my connection upgraded to 2mbit/s, yeah try calling them but somehow I feel like it's up to luck whether you'll get upgraded or not.

#840 November 10 2014

nosense

A friend of mine just told me ogero called their house and told them they should stop using torrents otherwise they will terminate their connection !

#841 November 10 2014

makhoder

aliessayli2 wrote:

A friend of mine just told me ogero called their house and told them they should stop using torrents otherwise they will terminate their connection !

I have ogero over 2 years, when we had the unlimited traffic I downloaded over 80gb of torrents. No one told me anything.

#842 November 10 2014

nosense

makhoder wrote:
aliessayli2 wrote:

I have ogero over 2 years, when we had the unlimited traffic I downloaded over 80gb of torrents. No one told me anything.

well they are downloading 150gb per month , but why say torrents ? they didn't mention quota just torrents

#843 November 10 2014

Raficoo

Last month I downloaded 150GBs of data including lots of torrents and no one ever told me anything.

#844 November 10 2014

AVOlio

last month i reached 250gb.

#845 November 10 2014

vengeance666

aliessayli2 wrote:

Why do I have a feeling your friend is trolling you someway ? That would be impossible to happen , at least since we have no internet regulations in Lebanon that would prevent anyone from downloading torrents or any other sort of data over the internet no matter what it is.

If Ogero "really" has problems with it's customers downloading torrents , they can simply block some specific ports to prevent the users from downloading torrents instead of calling their homes and warning them wouldn't they ?

Last edited by vengeance666 (November 10 2014)

#846 November 10 2014

Ramnesia

In the meantime i am enjoying downloading torrents...

#847 November 11 2014

nosense

vengeance666 wrote:
aliessayli2 wrote:

Why do I have a feeling your friend is trolling you someway ? That would be impossible to happen , at least since we have no internet regulations in Lebanon that would prevent anyone from downloading torrents or any other sort of data over the internet no matter what it is.

If Ogero "really" has problems with it's customers downloading torrents , they can simply block some specific ports to prevent the users from downloading torrents instead of calling their homes and warning them wouldn't they ?

My friend is a girl that isn't a tech-person , so she is not trolling for sure , I was surprised as you guys when she told me that's why I posted here.

#848 November 11 2014

DG

I highly doubt it was someone from Ogero.
If that friend is not using the unlimited plan then Ogero would encourage them to download more and pay more every month.
In case they are subscribed to the unlimited plan then Ogero can simply throttle their speed, block some ports, etc...
I think someone played a joke on your friend.

#849 November 11 2014

nosense

This is creepy why would someone call and say that, they assured me no one knows they use torrent to pull off a prank like that if it's not ogero.

anw I told them to call ogero and ask about the incident, will see what is their responce.

#850 November 11 2014

chosen2k

Looks like his neighbor has his password and is upset with his download speed.

Board footer