LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#726 August 26 2014

ramy58

Re: Feedback for Ogero

I think your line can reach max 2MBps that's why you can't reach the 500~ Kb/s with your 4MBps connection. I think if you take the 2mb unlimited plan your speed won't change a bit, it will stay around 200 KB/s.

#727 August 26 2014

bermudapineapple

Yup, that's why I was asking since it's obvious my line can't handle the 4MB. They're still coming to check it out to see if they can fix it or change something but if not, I guess I'll be downgrading.

It's funny because by downgrading I'll be paying more (50k for 4MB to 75k for 2MB) but I guess the higher cost is due to the unlimited plan.

Glad to see at least one of you have hands-on experience with the 2MB unlimited plan. My 4MB hovers exactly around 200KB (1.7Mbps) so if they cannot manage to fix it I guess I'll be downgrading to benefit from the unlimited download.

It sucks because I was hoping to upgrade to the above 8MB connection actually. Stupid line.

Thanks, guys.

#728 August 26 2014

trent

@tt400, 1.74mbps is the max throughput you can expect from a DSL 2mbps subscription due to inherent adsl technology overheads.
on my 2mbps I reach a stable 220K/s when doing http downloads.

I find it odd that you are seeing speedtest reporting your speed to be exactly 1.7mbps which is the expected speed for a 2mbps subscription.  is your connection speed stable? can you maintain a constant 200K/s for ~10-15 minutes? have you ever managed more than 220-225K/s? What I'm thinking is, your modem might be allowed to sync at 4mbps (4096kbps) but the port on their end at the DSLAM is only programmed for 2mbps. (Remember private ISPs back when they had double speed nights; subscribers would connect 24/7 at the double speed rate, but only be allowed to reach those rates at night).

If you really want 4mbps, I suggest having them investigate it a bit before giving them a way out by downgrading.

By the way 2mbps isn't more expensive than 4mbps! You don't have to get 2mbps unlimited. 2mbps 40GB is significantly cheaper than 4mbps 50GB, 24K LL vs 50K LL

Last edited by trent (August 26 2014)

#729 August 26 2014

bermudapineapple

trent wrote:

@tt400, 1.74mbps is the max throughput you can expect from a DSL 2mbps subscription due to inherent adsl technology overheads.
on my 2mbps I reach a stable 220K/s when doing http downloads.

I find it odd that you are seeing speedtest reporting your speed to be exactly 1.7mbps which is the expected speed for a 2mbps subscription.  is your connection speed stable? can you maintain a constant 200K/s for ~10-15 minutes? have you ever managed more than 220-225K/s? What I'm thinking is, your modem might be allowed to sync at 4mbps (4096kbps) but the port on their end at the DSLAM is only programmed for 2mbps. (Remember private ISPs back when they had double speed nights; subscribers would connect 24/7 at the double speed rate, but only be allowed to reach those rates at night).

If you really want 4mbps, I suggest having them investigate it a bit before giving them a way out by downgrading.

By the way 2mbps isn't more expensive than 4mbps! You don't have to get 2mbps unlimited. 2mbps 40GB is significantly cheaper than 4mbps 50GB, 24K LL vs 50K LL

Thanks for the post.

I have a constant speed of 200KB/s and I mean really, really constant, for weeks if not months. It barely even dips below that. There are a few moments after the electricity cuts out for a few seconds and restarts the router that I see speeds of 350 or 400 for hours at a time. It's all very, very weird.

Now I told them to come and check it out. I'll see what happens and make sure they try everything.

I understand the 2MB plan is cheaper but my intention was to get the unlimited plan since the 40GB capacity is too little.

#730 August 27 2014

ahk40a

tt400 wrote:

Thanks for the post.

I have a constant speed of 200KB/s and I mean really, really constant, for weeks if not months. It barely even dips below that. There are a few moments after the electricity cuts out for a few seconds and restarts the router that I see speeds of 350 or 400 for hours at a time. It's all very, very weird.

Now I told them to come and check it out. I'll see what happens and make sure they try everything.

I understand the 2MB plan is cheaper but my intention was to get the unlimited plan since the 40GB capacity is too little.

Could you mention more details about the situation when there is blackout? Is the speed of 400 that you get is only during this blackout? What is the backup electricity that you use during this blackout? Type of the modem? How old is your building? Provide me with this details! It seems that there is a problem with your cable. Give me the details that I have asked and I will try to troubleshoot! Also mention on which floor you are at!

It seems that there is a lot of noise on your cables where the electric lines would affect the quality of the signal through interference. But just to make sure I need this information. Also if you could send me a picture of your building's electric room where the telephone wiring pass through!

#731 August 27 2014

bermudapineapple

ahk40a wrote:
tt400 wrote:

Thanks for the post.

Could you mention more details about the situation when there is blackout? Is the speed of 400 that you get is only during this blackout? What is the backup electricity that you use during this blackout? Type of the modem? How old is your building? Provide me with this details! It seems that there is a problem with your cable. Give me the details that I have asked and I will try to troubleshoot! Also mention on which floor you are at!

It seems that there is a lot of noise on your cables where the electric lines would affect the quality of the signal through interference. But just to make sure I need this information. Also if you could send me a picture of your building's electric room where the telephone wiring pass through!

That was what the technician from Ogero was talking about. He said that whoever installed the internet at our house had left a note on our account which said our line could not handle above 2.5MB because of high level of interference. He told me he would send some people in a few days to come and check it out and make sure.

The 400KB/s doesn't happen during the blackout. Or at least I'm not sure exactly when it happens. It's when the electricity cuts off and turns back on that sometimes I see speeds of 400KB/s. So if I go to my modem now and turn it off and then turn it back on, sometimes I'll get 200KB, sometimes 150KB, and sometimes 350KB or 400KB. 95 percent of the time, I'll get 200KB.

I thought it might have been a problem from my modem but the Ogero technician told me specifically that they had left a note on the account about the problem of interference.

Last edited by bermudapineapple (August 27 2014)

#732 August 27 2014

ahk40a

tt400 wrote:
ahk40a wrote:
tt400 wrote:

Thanks for the post.

That was what the technician from Ogero was talking about. He said that whoever installed the internet at our house had left a note on our account which said our line could not handle above 2.5MB because of high level of interference. He told me he would send some people in a few days to come and check it out and make sure.

The 400KB/s doesn't happen during the blackout. Or at least I'm not sure exactly when it happens. It's when the electricity cuts off and turns back on that sometimes I see speeds of 400KB/s. So if I go to my modem now and turn it off and then turn it back on, sometimes I'll get 200KB, sometimes 150KB, and sometimes 350KB or 400KB. 95 percent of the time, I'll get 200KB.

I thought it might have been a problem from my modem but the Ogero technician told me specifically that they had left a note on the account about the problem of interference.

Well we have to investigate the cause of this interference. If you could answer my questions above, I might get a clear picture of what is causing this kind of interference. I also need to know what is the type of wire you are using between the ogero box and your modem!

Last edited by ahk40a (August 27 2014)

#733 August 27 2014

trent

tt400 wrote:

Thanks for the post.

since you're seeing 350K/s - 400K/s for hours at a time, that throws my theory about a misprogrammed DSLAM port out the window.
I guess our cabling in this country is so 1960s quality that you cannot expect anything better with regards to interference.
What's your SNR like? Does your modem report a lot of errors, whether HEC, RS correctable, or RS uncorrectable?

#734 August 28 2014

bermudapineapple

Thanks for the help, guys. Look at this hideousness!

Downstream    Upstream    

SNR Margin

:4.1     6.3    db

To answer ahk40a's questions, the modem is a TP-LINK TD-W8960N. The backup electricity comes from a private business that we pay a monthly subscription to. The building is about a year old. I'll try and take a picture of the setup for you later today if you could really use it.

Line Attenuation

:63.6     37.6     db

Data Rate

:2097     294     kbps

Max Rate

:2820     290     kbps

CRC

:21    0

#735 August 28 2014

nosense

tt400 wrote:

Thanks for the help, guys. Look at this hideousness!

Downstream    Upstream    

SNR Margin

:4.1     6.3    db

To answer ahk40a's questions, the modem is a TP-LINK TD-W8960N. The backup electricity comes from a private business that we pay a monthly subscription to. The building is about a year old. I'll try and take a picture of the setup for you later today if you could really use it.

Line Attenuation

:63.6     37.6     db

Data Rate

:2097     294     kbps

Max Rate

:2820     290     kbps

CRC

:21    0

Where do you live man your stats are horrible , and you are really far away from the Central office

#736 August 28 2014

NuclearVision

Wow, never seen worse.
Try to change router, tplink are pain in the ass.

#737 August 28 2014

trent

tt400, I'm quite amazed you get any service at all!
your signal levels are well bellow acceptable.
worst case scenario SNR should not be bellow 6db, yours is 4db. and attenuation not above 60db, yours is 63db.

other than whatever ogero can do for you, you may want to try to have an outside run of a good quality shielded cat5/e cable from your modem to the phone box downstairs. I got a 305 meters SFTP (shielded and foiled) cat5e roll from pcandparts a few months ago, it was about $80 delivered.

#738 August 28 2014

vengeance666

Wow .. With your line stats you should not even be able to connect to the internet .. Not to mention even getting 200kb/sec download .. I second other opinions try to connect the router directly to the phone box , skip the building wirings. You need every inch of stat you can get use of trust me.

#739 August 29 2014

bermudapineapple

Hahaha, so that explains it. I live in Metn and this building is only a year old. They installed Ethernet cables into the building and into the walls so I have three routers (one is also the modem) connected to each other. I'm just telling you this because the people who built the building put some effort into making it internet-ready. I'm not sure of the quality of the cables in the walls. You are saying I should just take the modem to the phone box and hook it up straight? How would I do that?

EDIT: I checked the stats again just to make sure it wasn't a one time thing. My SNR is now 2.5. I have no idea what is going on. Honestly, it's pretty stable. I never dip below 200KB and it is connected all day. I was just blasting like three YouTube videos while I was downloading a game.

EDIT 2: Just went to confirm the download. Now it's at 215KB. Seems like the worse the quality of the line is the faster the internet. Welcome to Lebanon.

Last edited by bermudapineapple (August 29 2014)

#740 August 29 2014

vengeance666

tt400 wrote:

Hahaha, so that explains it. I live in Metn and this building is only a year old. They installed Ethernet cables into the building and into the walls so I have three routers (one is also the modem) connected to each other. I'm just telling you this because the people who built the building put some effort into making it internet-ready. I'm not sure of the quality of the cables in the walls. You are saying I should just take the modem to the phone box and hook it up straight? How would I do that?

EDIT: I checked the stats again just to make sure it wasn't a one time thing. My SNR is now 2.5. I have no idea what is going on. Honestly, it's pretty stable. I never dip below 200KB and it is connected all day. I was just blasting like three YouTube videos while I was downloading a game.

EDIT 2: Just went to confirm the download. Now it's at 215KB. Seems like the worse the quality of the line is the faster the internet. Welcome to Lebanon.

Does your router display SNR according to a multiplier ? Some do that , 2.5 might mean 25 but its divided by a small number ( no idea why they do that ). Because 2.5 is very bad and supposed not to connect to the internet at all .. Not even for 10kb/sec because it's just too noisy beyond imagination.

#741 August 29 2014

NuclearVision

Like I said your router might be misreading the info.

#742 August 30 2014

bermudapineapple

I really don't think so. It might be misreading the info, that's correct, but I don't think there's any sort of multiplier. It doesn't say it anywhere around the data. It's at 3.4 now. And the Ogero guys haven't passed by yet. I called them on Tuesday!

#743 August 31 2014

chassis

So its the 31st ....is it safe to say No fup is applied :)

#744 August 31 2014

NuclearVision

They can apply it in the future, once everyone subscribes to this plan.

#745 August 31 2014

AVOlio

I will start the 2mbps unlimited at 12 :)
Coming from 1mbps 10GB, which became 40GB.
Though the speed stayed 1mbps.

I hope this month they won't just switch my consumption to unlimited.
But switch my speed to 2mbps also.

#746 September 1 2014

ahk40a

Any update on the speeds in dsl? In Mazraa CO for example?

#747 September 1 2014

AVOlio

If there were any updates,i think people would have posted about them already.

I paid for an upgrade from my 1mbps/10GB (previously) and 1mbps/40GB (After the upgrade) to 2mbps Unlimited.

My speed is still 1mbps  and i cant check my limit, because of the Ogero Website .

I will wait until the Ogero website account page opens again, and check my speed and Data limit on it.
And if my speed doesnt get upgraded to 2mbps, i will call them.

#748 September 2 2014

OxyMoron

Unlimited quota is not the answer to any of the current problems, and it certainly will come at the expense of more unstable connection. Efficiency, stability and consistency are three things the internet lacks in Lebanon right now, at least according to how i use my connection, Unlimited internet cannot help you get a 1 hour of work done if your connection is too slow, i had around 40GB of quota left on my TerraNet account 3 days ago and it took me 5+ hours to download firmware version to unbrick my phone (add another 5 hours of download failure) because everyone else was downloading and they had to limit connections to keep up, the current infrastructure cannot keep up with unlimited traffic demand, it's gonna be bad for everyone, the conservative and even reckless users too.

#749 September 2 2014

Ramii

i had my upgrade yesterday; i live in Verdun (Ras Beirut).

#750 September 2 2014

bermudapineapple

OxyMoron wrote:

Unlimited quota is not the answer to any of the current problems, and it certainly will come at the expense of more unstable connection. Efficiency, stability and consistency are three things the internet lacks in Lebanon right now, at least according to how i use my connection, Unlimited internet cannot help you get a 1 hour of work done if your connection is too slow, i had around 40GB of quota left on my TerraNet account 3 days ago and it took me 5+ hours to download firmware version to unbrick my phone (add another 5 hours of download failure) because everyone else was downloading and they had to limit connections to keep up, the current infrastructure cannot keep up with unlimited traffic demand, it's gonna be bad for everyone, the conservative and even reckless users too.

What you are talking about might be an issue related specifically to TerraNet. I've rarely experienced disruptions in my current connection or in my old connection (current is Ogero, older is IDM). Or are you talking about the entire infrastructure in Lebanon? I've haven't read anything about how it is weak. Got some links?

Board footer