LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1476 October 27 2014

ironman

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

Check their reply please, just unbelievable...

2luar1g.png

they said that 500 ms a NORMAL ping, and it just affects online gaming

Last edited by ironman (October 27 2014)

#1477 October 27 2014

nosense

ironman wrote:

http://i57.tinypic.com/2luar1g.png

I always wonder how these support people got their jobs
also you should pay for a gaming package to get 100-200 ping ? just wow

Last edited by nosense (October 27 2014)

#1478 October 27 2014

ironman

and guess what ... the gaming package is for 80$ (and the ping is up to 200)
i will cancel my subscription and move to ogero (with 4 weeks without internet).

#1479 October 27 2014

ballad

ironman wrote:

and guess what ... the gaming package is for 80$ (and the ping is up to 200)
i will cancel my subscription and move to ogero (with 4 weeks without internet).

you can use 3g in the meantime
29$ for 5gb

#1480 October 28 2014

ironman

that's what i will do, thank you ballad

#1481 October 28 2014

Adnan

I guess today is my lucky day ...

--- www.google.com ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 9070ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 46.312/47.551/49.507/1.039 ms

--- www.bbc.co.uk ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 6 received, 0% packet loss, time 9144ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 66.451/68.878/73.947/2.561 ms

--- www.lebgeeks.com ping statistics ---
6 packets transmitted, 5 received, 16% packet loss, time 9144ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 56.853/57.922/58.614/0.614 ms

Is it just me ?

If you're on an unlimited package ironman, I suggest trying with a limited one. But at the same time I don't know when Sodetel might screw me up on the satellite backbone again (which they haven't done in a really long time), so maybe changing is safer.

Last edited by Adnan (October 28 2014)

#1482 November 2 2014

Obviously

It's been pretty slow on streaming videos/opening web pages. But it's pretty fast when downloading torrents and decent when gaming. I am not sure what's going on.

I am subscribed to the 16M package, yet I can't watch a Youtube video without pausing for it to buffer :)

When I contacted Sodetel, they did some tests, and said that the problem is not from their side, but from my side. My modem and routers are fine, so going to "clean" my phone line as they suggested.

#1483 November 3 2014

ironman

Its always from your side with Sodetel :)

#1484 November 3 2014

scorpioxy

Clean your phone line? What does that mean exactly? Scrubbing the actual wire? What sort of cleaning products did they recommend?

Seriously though, with youtube it's probably about your latency or modem disconnections. I sometimes see that with ssh connections where the activity seems to freeze for around a second and then resume. Any real time activity including audio/video will suffer from this. It's not really about what package/speed you have. Sodetel is not famous for its latency and there's not much you can do about it. From the numbers and testimonies I see, Ogero is the best in this department.

Also I wouldn't bother with their customer service. There's never any useful answer given, is how I would describe it if I only want to use nice words. As with everything around here, you learn to live with it.

#1485 November 4 2014

nefe_lpmk

Obviously wrote:

It's been pretty slow on streaming videos/opening web pages. But it's pretty fast when downloading torrents and decent when gaming. I am not sure what's going on.

I am subscribed to the 16M package, yet I can't watch a Youtube video without pausing for it to buffer :)

When I contacted Sodetel, they did some tests, and said that the problem is not from their side, but from my side. My modem and routers are fine, so going to "clean" my phone line as they suggested.

I am having the same youtube problem , it has appeared 3 weeks ago so it's not a problem on your part .
They are having a problem in the Dslams or some hardware in the centrals from their part , a tech support told me that weeks ago and he added that the problem might take more than a month to be fixed.
So don't believe what they told and waste your money, your line is fine if your connection was fine before.

#1486 November 12 2014

MrElie

my opinion about this is as follows:

1- Some old building have old and commercial wiring from the Ogero box to your house socket. So I suggest first to change the wall socket and make sure wires are not teared up and in good shape. If that didn't work then my advice just change the wiring from the box to your house.

2- Never use the router provided by any ISP company. Keep note that these are commercial companies, and your router and installation fees are FREE. So what do you really expect. All Sodetel routers are Chinese grade C or D, low quality routers. In my case I'm using a Cisco MODEM connected to my line then connecting the modem to a Cisco wireless router. I highly recommend getting a Cisco router for best performance.

3- Are you using a LAN cable to your PC/Laptop or just using WIFI connection. WIFI loses around 20 % of connection stability. So a LAN cable is also advised at all times.

4- Always check your PC/Laptop for spyware, bloatware, trojans, viruses, etc. Having a small spyware taking random statistics can cause your PC/Laptop to lag from times to times.

5- If Gaming is the problem you might also want to check your graphic settings.

Some of these advice may not be your case but I'm just posting in general for those who might have slipped their attention some small detail.

I hope it helps and if you have any questions let me know and I'll try to help as much as I can.

I currently have a 16M connection from Sodetel with a fixed IP address. ( Had to battle with them to get the fixed IP ) and I have a stable 80-90 ping in Dekwaneh area.

Last edited by MrElie (November 12 2014)

#1487 November 19 2014

nefe_lpmk

Anyone facing a very slow speed that started yesterday?

#1488 November 19 2014

AvoK95

nefe_lpmk wrote:

Anyone facing a very slow speed that started yesterday?

right here, and I'm disconnecting a lot

#1489 November 20 2014

ironman

yes my download speed is like 30kbps, i will try the super expensive "Gaming package" in december, if its not really worth it, am switching to ogero, will let you know if you are interested.

#1490 November 27 2014

georgesmh

just contacted Sodetel... they told me they have problems and they are working on fixing them.. i have been experiencing disconnections and slow speed since I can't remember..

#1491 November 28 2014

nefe_lpmk

I am having disconnect and speed issue for two months now, makes you wonder why pay 50 and 70$ if we are gonna get the same 1-2 Mbits anyways.

#1492 November 28 2014

georgesmh

indeed! but maybe the 20$ plan subscribers are getting even less than 512

#1493 December 5 2014

nefe_lpmk

I think Sodetel are traffic throttling youtube and twitch,my browsing and Speedtest are fast but youtube is suffering at 280/360p, any way bypass that?

#1494 December 5 2014

georgesmh

I noticed some throttling in youtube,, but speedtest still bad.. I get max 2 Mbps and im subscribed to 8.
but my download rate is between 600 and 850 Kbps
No throttling at all on Netflix

#1495 December 6 2014

ironman

you should see my " Gaming package " which i am paying 74$ for ...
Speed is still 1.2 Mbps, download rate is 190 Kbps
no comments, seriously.

Last edited by ironman (December 6 2014)

#1496 December 13 2014

AvoK95

ironman wrote:

http://i57.tinypic.com/2luar1g.png

They said WHAT?!

That's bull...If they told me this, I would demand to speak to the manager, and just go apeshit on him.

I mean we're not paying less money, so why would we get less than what we paid for?

500ms is a lot!, It doesn't effect just gaming, it effects the loading of websites and the loading of EVERYTHING.

Here's a video that explains about how latency is important.

I would literally just bash them with facts and facts until they admit that they're just too greedy and lazy to fix or upgrade their stupid servers.

I mean a 256K connection with 60ms ping would open pages faster than a 1M connection with 500MS.

Last edited by AvoK95 (December 13 2014)

#1497 December 16 2014

Moudimadi

Hello users, i'm a Sodetel user since 2 years and a half. I used to have 2 up to 4 Mbit package before the upgrades. Now i have the 8Mbit package. still getting 1 Mbit since 2 years. Not more than that. I really need to get my speed upgraded. I always call Sodetel and they tell me that your Central Office cant support more than 1 Mbit. I'm related to Central Khaldeh. I live in Doha Aramoun. This is a speedtest. http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3990311283 . Does anyone have any proposal about what should i do in this case? Thank you.

#1498 December 17 2014

FakeDsl

Wait for fiber optics. This is lebanon, nothing gets fixed, I have the same problem as you only worse, my phone line supports a maximum of 128k speed, your other solution would be to try getting your connection wirelessly either from someone who distribute at ur area which is what I did, or from an official isp (good luck in finding a decent one speed wise and money wise).

Btw local isp are the most unreliable SOBs I had to deal with (…)

Good luck my friend, keep us posted if you find a better solution.

<admin edit: no arabic in latin characters, please check the rules>

#1499 December 18 2014

Adnan

Hi,

Recently my phone line stats started deteriorating for a reason I do not know. Here's an instance of what my modem used to show:

old stats

As you can see, very acceptable SNR Margin and a Max Rate of 8Mbps.

Here's what I've been getting for the last couple of weeks:

new stats

This is while I have the modem connected on the first of two phone outlets we have.

If I connect it to the second one without any phone connected in the house, I'll get 4Mbps with Max Rate of 4500Kbps.
If I connect it to the second one with a phone connected to the first one, it will start with 4Mbps then resync until it becomes 2.5Mbps with a max rate of 2.6Mbps and it will disconnect everytime the phone rings.

Here's the kinda offensive email I received from Sodetel after emailing them about my problem in a very friendly way:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for emailing Sodetel

Checking your email and checking your line parameters, your port is configured as 4M (even it is risky on 4M and not supporting 8M due to the high distance to the central as per our last diagnose) and getting 3M over 4M on a shared connection and on peak time is more than perfect . All DSL users in Lebanon are facing slowness on their DSL line due the new upgrades that happened in the central and we are working with Ogero to solve this issue the soonest. Some customers of 8M and 16M aren't able to get the 20% of their speed due to the saturated links and global problem in all ISPs in Lebanon, so your connection is more than accepted in that case and normal in our peak time and global problem in centrals

Regards,

Joe Hosry

I don't get it, if my SNR Margin is deteriorating and my Max Rate is going down, is it really a peak time problem ? Any tips on diagnosing my phone line ?

Edit: Also sometimes it's good when the state electricity is on but when it's on "ishtirak" it just disconnects all the time :/

Last edited by Adnan (December 18 2014)

#1500 December 20 2014

andrew55

I honestly don't think that was offensive reply. He was honest about the situation in Lebanon. However, i guess what he didn't address was your SNR situation. You must be synced on adsl1 which probably gives you a higher maximum rate than sodetel is able to give you. You probably have some line issues at home due to the variability in maximum rate. Are you using filters for your phone and dsl?

Last edited by andrew55 (December 20 2014)

Board footer