LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1376 July 31 2014

HotCreep

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

No throttling basically because the free internet starts at 1 am
Btw george, how come you got 55 gbytes? didn't they downgrade you to the 4mbps plan?
I got 55 gbytes, 6mbps. sent them an email to upgrade to 8 mbps waiting for their reply

#1377 July 31 2014

georgesmh

they upgraded back to 8 after I called them... i advise you to call them I think It's better. They'll monitor your line again and upgrade back to 8 if your line supports it.

#1378 July 31 2014

HotCreep

sent them email yesterday, if they do not do anything about it by tomorrow i will call them then

#1379 July 31 2014

HotCreep

what is your SNR after upgrading back to 8mbps? and average speed on speedtest? and are you disconnecting aw no disconnections at all?

#1380 July 31 2014

Nemesis-301

no change in mine yet
3660439005.png

#1381 July 31 2014

georgesmh

HotCreep wrote:

what is your SNR after upgrading back to 8mbps? and average speed on speedtest? and are you disconnecting aw no disconnections at all?

SNR is around 15-16 now
Down Speed on speedtest fluctuates a lot during the day between 5 and 7.. now it's around 5.. Up speed around 0.4 not much
No disconnections at all.. even when my SNR was very low

3660483658.png

Nemesis-301 wrote:

no change in mine yet

What plan are u on?

Last edited by georgesmh (July 31 2014)

#1382 July 31 2014

HotCreep

George how come your SNR is high now? it used to be very low when they first upgraded, less than 10 as i recall. how did you get it to increase?

#1383 July 31 2014

georgesmh

HotCreep wrote:

George how come your SNR is high now? it used to be very low when they first upgraded, less than 10 as i recall. how did you get it to increase?

I wish I knew lol
when it was so low (around 5) i called them and they opened a case. It was 3 pm aprox.
at 8 pm my SNR increased on its own from 5 to 14. I didn't do anything, not even change the filter; so I thought they fixed it since a case was opened.
the second day I saw a SNR of 27 but they downgraded my speed so I called them again and I told them that the SNR increased on its own the night before while the speed was still 8mbps. They told me that they didn't do anything other than the downgrade to fix the problem and that anyways they will upgrade again and put my line under monitoring to see if the SNR is high enough. Since then my speed is higher than 5mbps and the SNR is higher than 14. Weird I know but I think they fixed something and didn't know they did.

#1384 July 31 2014

HotCreep

georgesmh wrote:
HotCreep wrote:

I wish I knew lol
when it was so low (around 5) i called them and they opened a case. It was 3 pm aprox.
at 8 pm my SNR increased on its own from 5 to 14. I didn't do anything, not even change the filter; so I thought they fixed it since a case was opened.
the second day I saw a SNR of 27 but they downgraded my speed so I called them again and I told them that the SNR increased on its own the night before while the speed was still 8mbps. They told me that they didn't do anything other than the downgrade to fix the problem and that anyways they will upgrade again and put my line under monitoring to see if the SNR is high enough. Since then my speed is higher than 5mbps and the SNR is higher than 14. Weird I know but I think they fixed something and didn't know they did.

Well I will ask them to upgrade me to 8mbps and if my SNR decreases to less than 10 I hope they do whatever they did with your line to fix it!

#1385 July 31 2014

HotCreep

currently my SNR fluctuates between 12 and 20 on 6mbps.usually not less than 15 though

#1386 July 31 2014

georgesmh

HotCreep wrote:

currently my SNR fluctuates between 12 and 20 on 6mbps.usually not less than 15 though

Yes that's not bad. Try the 8mbps, if SNR drops lower than 10, I guess It's better for you to stay on 6. Btw, the speeds now are great.. I'm getting around 7mbps... streaming and browsing have never been better it's like a whole new level:p

The 1 month wait was really worth it.. Other ISPs are having trouble offering now more than 4mbps.
I hope Sodetel's QoS will stay like this.

Last edited by georgesmh (July 31 2014)

#1387 August 1 2014

Nemesis-301

georgesmh wrote:
Nemesis-301 wrote:

no change in mine yet

What plan are u on?

3660985248.png

1mb unlimited and still no change

#1388 August 1 2014

omar_killer

Both my latency and speed are good but I can't watch videos properly, tried youtube and other websites but still can't watch them (tried on several phones and my pc)
I can play online games just fine though.

Edit:Nevermind the problem is fixed now.

Last edited by omar_killer (August 1 2014)

#1389 August 1 2014

nefe_lpmk

anyone on 8mb plan getting higher than 6.9-7 speed on speedtest?

#1390 August 1 2014

HotCreep

nefe_lpmk wrote:

anyone on 8mb plan getting higher than 6.9-7 speed on speedtest?

i am on the 8mbps plan now, but my exact datarate is 7616 not 8192, I am getting about 6.5mbps when testing

#1391 August 1 2014

andrew55

How is Sodetel able to give most of its users such high speeds while most of us struggle to get 4 Mbps ?!

#1392 August 1 2014

HotCreep

andrew55 wrote:

How is Sodetel able to give most of its users such high speeds while most of us struggle to get 4 Mbps ?!

No idea, I am just glad they do.
I think Sodetel proved to be smarter than other ISPs. They endured the rants of their customers and risked losing many of them for a month, but didn't upgrade until they got all the capacity that they need. Unlike other isps who promised upgrades at the 1st of july but didn't effectively apply them.

#1393 August 1 2014

andrew55

If they have enough bandwidth then they don't need to apply FUP which isn't the case.

#1394 August 1 2014

HotCreep

Well all their plans were upgraded and if that bandwidth was already theirs they would have upgraded since the 1st of July rather than now. and the pings are good, that means they are not relying on satellite downlinks anymore.
so maybe they did get enough bandwidth, enough for them to upgrade with fups, or maybe fup for limited plans was just a scarecrow so that people won't download too much and reduce the internet speeds during the fnq. am not sure how the fup works yet, since it is supposed to start tonight. we'll wait and see

#1395 August 1 2014

andrew55

Makes sense..

Sodetel doesn't tell it's users that they have to wait for Ogero's approval to give 8 Mbps for example.. They just do it immediately unlike other ISPs. I don't know why that's the case...

#1396 August 1 2014

Adnan

Am I not supposed to get more than this for 4Mbps ?

3662310005.png

I used to get 1.7Mbps for 2Mbps, it's kinda sad now.

#1397 August 1 2014

HotCreep

if you multiply 1.7 by 2 (since your package was doubled in speed) you get 3.4. you are getting 3.45 which is almost the same.
I used to get around this number when I was on the 4 mbps plan

#1398 August 1 2014

Duath

it seems that my speed didn't double,im on the 16 mbps plan, is anyone else experiencing this ?

#1399 August 1 2014

Adnan

HotCreep wrote:

if you multiply 1.7 by 2 (since your package was doubled in speed) you get 3.4. you are getting 3.45 which is almost the same.
I used to get around this number when I was on the 4 mbps plan

Well I believe I asked for 4Mbps, not two 2Mbps. But if that's what other users were getting then I won't complain, that must be how it works.

#1400 August 1 2014

georgesmh

@Adnan Thats what I got when I was on the 4mbps plan.
@HotCreep Great that you got upgraded again. I am also  on 7616mbps.. I guess my line doesnt support more than that.
@andrew, I didn't know if that's even a related thing, but Sodetel is half owned by the government and they are Data Service Providers too.. unlike other ISPs

PS: Speedtest.net shows that I'm on FiberLink Networks not Sodetel.

Last edited by georgesmh (August 2 2014)

Board footer