LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1076 July 13 2013

Rod

Re: Feedback for Sodetel

It's not that bad but they do have the fair usage policy which will cause your internet speed to slow down if you abuse it lol. The latency, let's not start about that. But if you're not into gaming, sodetel should do the trick.

#1077 July 13 2013

AvoK95

NofaceNoshape wrote:

Guys,

I'm willing to apply to Sodetel internet, I'm not into online gaming so latency is not a concern but how's their bandwidth? is it stable? is there any sort of shaping/throttling?
I'm considering the 1MB unlimited deal? how's that too?

Great for downloading and regular use. Very happy with it.

#1078 July 13 2013

AVOlio

Humm, no i guess its stable..
But put in mind that Unlimited does not really mean unlimited. It has a catch to it.
If you download a lot during the day, your speed will be reduced to half. like from 120kbps to 60kbps ..
It will change back the second day though, but if you keep the downloads going on , it will remain 60kbps for a longer time without changing back to normal .   That is what i was experiencing.

#1079 July 13 2013

AvoK95

AVOlio wrote:

But put in mind that Unlimited does not really mean unlimited. It has a catch to it.
If you download a lot during the day, your speed will be reduced to half. like from 120kbps to 60kbps ..
It will change back the second day though, but if you keep the downloads going on , it will remain 60kbps for a longer time without changing back to normal .   That is what i was experiencing.

That's FUP,  it's used on every unlimited Internet connection. Very few countries don't use it.

#1080 July 13 2013

AVOlio

AvoK95 wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

That's FUP,  it's used on every unlimited Internet connection. Very few countries don't use it.

Yes brother :)   I knew that, 
I was just explaining to @Nofasenoshape in words other than FUP ..

#1081 July 13 2013

AvoK95

AVOlio wrote:
AvoK95 wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

Yes brother :)   I knew that, 
I was just explaining to @Nofasenoshape in words other than FUP ..

Well you were explaining it wrong, because it's no catch at all. 
Here's how FUP works, the ISP will have a quota (limit) which if you don't use passed it, FUP is not applied. If you go pass that limit, FUP will be applied. However, some ISPs (including Sodetel) don't specify what that limit is. Once FUP is applied, you will be transferred to a server where everybody in that server is downloading, and that's why your speed will go down. However, if you're not in FUP and you're downloading at 60kbps,that means the download server you're downloading from is just slow.

#1082 July 13 2013

AVOlio

Walla i know, im not lying, Scouts Honour !
And Sodetel Does have a limit,  i called and asked once, he said its between 10-11Gb or something like that.

#1083 July 14 2013

NofaceNoshape

Aha, So it can get halved if I passed a certain limit, I guess you all meant 60 KBps, nah? still that a decent speed.

AVOlio wrote:

Walla i know, im not lying, Scouts Honour !
And Sodetel Does have a limit,  i called and asked once, he said its between 10-11Gb or something like that.

10GB are you sure? that's harsh, can you confirm that AvoK95?

#1084 July 14 2013

AVOlio

sorry my bad, I meant to say that daily..  10-11Gb daily.
But that's what he said..
I used to get half the speed even though I knew that all my downloads and Internet browsing n stuff.. don't reach 10gigs

#1085 July 14 2013

DNA

AVOlio wrote:

I used to get half the speed even though I knew that all my downloads and Internet browsing n stuff.. don't reach 10gigs

its impossible to download 10 gb per day on 1mbit/s connection

#1086 July 14 2013

AVOlio

DNA wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

its impossible to download 10 gb per day on 1mbit/s connection

No its not.. it might not happen but its not impossible ..
Say your speed is average @125 kbps .. your 24 hour download would be 10,8 GB .
Say its average @120 kbps .. your 24 hours download would be 10,368 GB..

My download speed , through direct downloads , servers ... (basically downloads with IDM .. ) were stable lets at 120kbps.
If i was not FUPed .

So, nope, its not impossible   

na na na !

Last edited by AVOlio (July 14 2013)

#1087 July 14 2013

maulader

Sorry avo but you're wrong. What's the point of putting FUP if it's so extreme? the download limit is surely on a monthly basis, you must have misunderstood what he said, or the one that told you that was dumb as hell.

Also, running @ 120kps 24/7 is only possible in an ideal "lebanon", therefore the FUP doesn't even exist. I don't know if sodetel has one or not, but if it does, you're mistaken about the 10gb per day.

Last edited by maulader (July 14 2013)

#1088 July 14 2013

DNA

theoretically i know it can happen, but in reality as maulader stated its impossible.

#1089 August 6 2013

AvoK95

Does anybody know for how long I can leave my account not being renewed? I heard Terranet can be left up to 3 months.. It's the second month I haven't renewed my account.

#1090 August 16 2013

Adnan

I remember some users d/c their routers to get a fiber-optics-routed IP address (to get lower pinging times), does that still work ? What's the trick ?

#1091 September 12 2013

Nemesis-301

I am thinking of switching from wise to the unlimited package by sodetel, but how is the latency? I want to keep playing world of tanks....currently getting a ping of 130 with euro server with wise..

#1092 September 12 2013

AVOlio

Gonna play online ?! Never go to sodetel !

#1093 September 21 2013

exhaler

Hello fellow geeks,

I have a 4MB internet connection for my house from sodetel, it was running fine up until 2 weeks ago where the speed dropped to 80kb of course i called sodetel they told me that the phone line is bad and i need to install a new one.

However i noticed that when i unplugged the phone line connected to the modem then plug it in i get fast internet for a couple of hours than it drops again :( with or without a filter the same things happens. I'm using the modem that sodetel provided thomson TG585v8 with firmware 8.2.7.8 (i updated it) for two years now.

also sometimes i get fast connection all day.

I'm confused now as what should i do, change the phone line or change the modem??

Thanks for the help

Last edited by exhaler (September 21 2013)

#1094 September 21 2013

Nabs

Sodetel's having issues and they won't admit it. It's part of being Lebanese. I have an 8Mbps, and it's giving me a hard time. I've been with Sodetel for a while now. I've learned that when something goes wrong, you can do nothing but wait. They will know about it and fix it, just won't admit it though.

#1095 September 21 2013

exhaler

you have a point Nabs, i did have have issues before but not for that long. what is your download rate?

#1096 September 23 2013

DG

Nabs wrote:

I've learned that when something goes wrong, you can do nothing but wait. They will know about it and fix it, just won't admit it though.

I concur, and that's the sad reality about all ISPs. They just don't want to lose clients so they lie and pretend everything is fine at their end.

#1097 September 27 2013

user

switching from sodetel to ogero now. I can't take it anymore. Latency is so bad with sodetel. Ogero everywhere, even my villag has a latency <100 ms sodetel is close to 400

I downloaded everything I ever wanted, and even ogero now has unlimited after midnight, there is no longer any logical reason not to go ogero...

#1098 September 27 2013

AvoK95

user wrote:

switching from sodetel to ogero now. I can't take it anymore. Latency is so bad with sodetel. Ogero everywhere, even my villag has a latency <100 ms sodetel is close to 400

I downloaded everything I ever wanted, and even ogero now has unlimited after midnight, there is no longer any logical reason not to go ogero...

How about 1M Unlimited 24/7 for only $30? But yeah, you want latency..

#1099 September 27 2013

user

It got so bad lately youtube won't load videos half the time.  I'm at work 12 hours a day, quota is no longer my problem, I just want to enjoy my internet for the 2 hours a day I actually use it  game lag is unbearable, browsing lag is also annoying, typing code on a remote server sucks. etc... also because the latency is bad, you won't get to use your full bandwidth most of the time. I am subscribed to the 2 mbps package, unless I use a download manager, my internet speed on requests does not even reach 512 kbps, youtube when it does load, it loads very slowly.

Also there is only so much you would want to download, I have 3 terra byte of stuff now, most of it I did not watch nor do I have any intention of watching/playing. Downloading is overrated

#1100 September 27 2013

omar_killer

Guys is that normal?
lateley I'm having trouble with youtube,audio streaming etc.

1Mb Unlimited package,ras beirut.

87016476.png

Board footer