LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1951 July 5 2014

wollyka

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

My problem with ISP (IDM)  is a different one. I am currently subscribed to the 4 Mbps plan since years now and the connection was working properly. However, since the beginning of this month,I am having frequent disconnections(4Mbps/50GB). The situation got worse since yesterday, I am offline most of the time, the modem is trying to synchronize every few minutes. Etc...  The sn margin is fluctuating a lot, sometimes it is in the upper 30/11 as normal,then it decreases to 20/2 and so on.
The modem is the new technicolor from IDM (i tried 2 different modems too), I changed the filters, I removed my phone completely, no handy phone is attached and it is all the same.
I tried calling them but the line is always busy!
Very disappointed!

#1952 July 5 2014

TechXero

wollyka wrote:

My problem with ISP (IDM)  is a different one. I am currently subscribed to the 4 Mbps plan since years now and the connection was working properly. However, since the beginning of this month,I am having frequent disconnections(4Mbps/50GB). The situation got worse since yesterday, I am offline most of the time, the modem is trying to synchronize every few minutes. Etc...  The sn margin is fluctuating a lot, sometimes it is in the upper 30/11 as normal,then it decreases to 20/2 and so on.
The modem is the new technicolor from IDM (i tried 2 different modems too), I changed the filters, I removed my phone completely, no handy phone is attached and it is all the same.
Very disappointed!

Been having same issues like you. It's all part of the upgrade. Since they are upgrading their entire infrastructure it's affecting signal and other things. I called them 100 times and talked to them every time.

Only today did the guy clarify things. Read my last post on previous page.

#1953 July 5 2014

HotCreep

The fact that Sodetel started upgrading the data rates on friday for their subscribers probably means that they will soon receive or already has received the required E1s

#1954 July 5 2014

TechXero

HotCreep wrote:

The fact that Sodetel started upgrading the data rates on friday for their subscribers probably means that they will soon receive or already has received the required E1s

Same goes for IDM. That's why guy told me a week or so from now things should get better.

#1955 July 5 2014

Adnan

Ahmad Toutounji wrote:

why do they call it unlimited if you are not allowed for more than 2gb let's say per day

I don't think the problem is with calling it unlimited,  it's with the advertised speed. You can use the internet as much as you want and not find yourself disconnected because your quota is over.

#1956 July 5 2014

Ramnesia

I just do not get it, private isp and especially ogero, why don't they stop " yrab7ouna jmile" and introduce heavy download packages and with an increased cap.

#1957 July 5 2014

andrew55

What infrastructure does IDM need to upgrade? from my understanding they aren't a dsp and ogero should do everything with regards to the upgrades. IDM like other ISPs needs extra E1s...

#1958 July 5 2014

trent

At this rate the only unlimited deal that might be worth the cost is Ogero's (unless FUPs pop out of nowhere).

2-3GB limit per day before being FUPed on Unlimited with private ISPs is pointless (that's only 60-90GB per month). Just get a limited plan with as much day traffic as you need and relegate some downloads for off-peak free hours, like we used to do before July 1.
It will be cheaper and you can subscribe for faster speeds.

#1959 July 5 2014

TechXero

andrew55 wrote:

What infrastructure does IDM need to upgrade? from my understanding they aren't a dsp and ogero should do everything with regards to the upgrades. IDM like other ISPs needs extra E1s...

Yeah exactly. Once they get the E1s they need to upgrade their Systems as well as DSPs they supply etc.. At least to my knowledge.

#1960 July 5 2014

andrew55

So are they actually going to get the E1s? Is it confirmed and they're just waiting? Or is it just in theory? Lol.. b/c those are 2 different things..

#1961 July 5 2014

TechXero

andrew55 wrote:

So are they actually going to get the E1s? Is it confirmed and they're just waiting? Or is it just in theory? Lol.. b/c those are 2 different things..

As far as I know the guy told me they got started rolling out changes so to me that means they indeed got them or at least enough to get the ball rolling...

Beyond that even he doesn't know.

#1962 July 6 2014

wollyka

TechXero wrote:
wollyka wrote:

Very disappointed!

Been having same issues like you. It's all part of the upgrade. Since they are upgrading their entire infrastructure it's affecting signal and other things. I called them 100 times and talked to them every time.

Only today did the guy clarify things. Read my last post on previous page.

Hmm, thanks, Hope they "resolve" it soon. the unstable connection is frustrating and IDM support each time blames something from my part (modem, filters, line etc..)

#1963 July 6 2014

TechXero

Hmm, thanks, Hope they "resolve" it soon. the unstable connection is frustrating and IDM support each time blames something from my part (modem, filters, line etc..)

Exactly as I mentioned. It's always us never them.

On a lighter note I found a loophole in their FUP system. At least for me it works. If you use Internet Download Manager set it to one thread only, and start then stop a download then immediately start it again. It will go at max speed... Try it.

Proof it works
RRzo1XL.jpg

Otherwise my browsing speed is pitiful at best. Can't open Google without having to wait an eternity x)

Last edited by TechXero (July 6 2014)

#1964 July 6 2014

trent

With all the upgrades taking place these days, to get a better idea of the signal on your end, what you get thru the modem's web interface is in most cases useless. Most modems allow you telnet into them and run built-in diagnostic tools (as long as you know the CLI commands) which give a much more detailed view of what's happening on the line.

DMT DSL Modem Tool, puts a nice GUI on the telnet CLI and makes things much easier. http://dmt.mhilfe.de/
Note there are different versions for different modems. If you don't find your modem on the list it might still be supported, try to find out what chipset it uses and get a compatible version. Broadcom's BCM 6338/6348/6358 chipset line are very commonly used (DMT v.8.07), that's what I have in my D-Link 2540U.

There is a hidden (enable in settings) experimental section that you can use to force the modem to use lower target SNR margins when syncing, which allows higher sync rates on lines with low SNR, but you trade stability. These settings don't stick and are lost when the modem reboots.

And you can run a SNR monitor that will show you fluctuations through out an extended period on every frequency / bin used on the line.

261jd5x.jpg

my results aren't too interesting since my signal quality is way more than enough for 2mbps only. But others might get a better idea of what sort or noise is creeping in on their line, and at what time of day.

Anyway geek out ... lots of data points to enjoy

#1965 July 6 2014

georgesmh

Wow thank you.. I was just thinking of a way to monitor my SNR. :)

#1966 July 6 2014

TechXero

@trent

I got the TP-Link TD-W8970 Router/Modem that uses the Lantiq (with Atheros wifi) chipset. So which version should I get ? Got no clue.. I don't understand such things. Sorry

#1967 July 6 2014

trent

TechXero wrote:

@trent

I got the TP-Link TD-W8970 Router/Modem which version should I get ? Got no clue.. I don't understand such things. Sorry

It's a lantiq xway chipset https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TD-W8970_v1
I'm not 100% sure which version of DMT is supposed to work with it. But it might use the same command line tool as broadcom (adslctl). So I'd say try version 8.07.

Googling around you might find a definite answer.

#1968 July 6 2014

TechXero

trent wrote:
TechXero wrote:

@trent

I got the TP-Link TD-W8970 Router/Modem which version should I get ? Got no clue.. I don't understand such things. Sorry

It's a lantiq xway chipset https://wikidevi.com/wiki/TP-LINK_TD-W8970_v1
I'm not 100% sure which version of DMT is supposed to work with it. But it might use the same command line tool as broadcom (adslctl). So I'd say try version 8.07.

Googling around you might find a definite answer.

I did, will download all versions until I get a hit lol.

Edit, tried all of them none worked. I guess am out of luck... :(

#1969 July 6 2014

andrew55

@TechXero i wouldn't use that kind of a chipset for Lebanese lines. I've tried one on my line and it synced horribly. Lantiq is a very fast chipset however it isn't reliable for the mediocre lines that we have. I suggest you get a really good broadcom modem. you might get a significant sync improvement...

@trent I tried using that application a few days ago and i actually ticked off some of the adsl tones that i thought had high SNR but nothing really happened..

Last edited by andrew55 (July 6 2014)

#1970 July 6 2014

TechXero

andrew55 wrote:

@TechXero i wouldn't use that kind of a chipset for Lebanese lines. I've tried one on my line and it synced horribly. Linteq is a very fast chipset however it isn't reliable for the mediocre lines that we have. I suggest you get a really good broadcom modem. you might get a significant sync improvement... ..

I also have a Linksys X3500 which acted weird. UI was extremely slow. Was a maze to go through. Still results were sane or worse. Tge X3500 has no Antennas so very bad for me since I live in a villa.

#1971 July 6 2014

andrew55

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/billion-7800dxl

I have this modem. It has an excellent UI and it has a very good broadcom chipset.

#1972 July 6 2014

TechXero

andrew55 wrote:

http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/billion-7800dxl

I have this modem. It has an excellent UI and it has a very good broadcom chipset.

Nice... Sadly I already got those 2 moderns, not gonna keep buying. No more $ to spare. So gotta do with what I got. Am so pissed.... I need coverage coz my house is huge and require excellent wifi coz I use my phone a lot. I am part of an Android Nexus 5 ROM development team... I help with finding bugs in ROMs and maintain web server...

#1973 July 6 2014

trent

@TechXero, googling around I'd say you're out of luck on that chipset, as you said.

@andrew55, are you having trouble with a noisy line? Tones with too much noise do not get used anyway. And bitswapping allows bit allocation to be modified on the fly if you get a sudden burst of noise. So there is really no need to manually deselect tones.

#1974 July 6 2014

TechXero

trent wrote:

@TechXero, googling around I'd say you're out of luck on that chipset, as you said.

@andrew55, are you having trouble with a noisy line? Tones with too much noise do not get used anyway. And bitswapping allows bit allocation to be modified on the fly if you get a sudden burst of noise. So there is really no need to manually deselect tones.

What about X3500... Linksys?

#1975 July 6 2014

andrew55

Well not necessarily. my attenuation on adsl1 is 23 db and 27.5 db on adsl2+ and you're right i kept bitswapping on when i did that.. but i don't think bitswapping works on g.dmt anyway, no?

Last edited by andrew55 (July 6 2014)

Board footer