LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1876 July 2 2014

m_zeid

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

georgesmh wrote:

The unlimited quota after midnight has been deleted only by Ogero or other ISPs as well? Can anyone confirm if it's still available on the ISPs that already received the upgrade?

Wise still has it on all of their plans, and no FUP at all

Moscanet, Wise guys, RESPECT!!

#1877 July 2 2014

trent

I am sorry to say this, but everyone on here trying to justify the "upgrade", continued low usage limits and the loss of free nights on Ogero as something great and an improvement are either narrow minded or lying to themselves, and you in fact are part of the problem.

As long as Internet access remains a limited commodity in this country you won't see growth in sectors that depend on it. Internet access is not used only to watch cat videos on youtube or download pirated TV series and movies. Fast reliable Internet access opens up the world as a market for Lebanese entrepreneurs to work in and sell new services to.

I'm only in the country for a few months, but I rely heavily on Internet access to continue working on projects back in the states, hours of skype meetings, and attending online webinars. As a geek I follow several interesting online channels, and last week alone I spent hours watching Google I/O developer sessions on youtube.

You cannot nag and moan about the abysmal situation in this country, and just blame the politicians. People, with your complacency, you are the biggest part of the problem!

#1878 July 2 2014

vengeance666

I never said or praised whatever the government did saying it was a wise move , I tried to look at everything from the positive side instead of the negative side. And I never said "everyone" is downloading useless stuff at night , but you can't deny the fact that not even 10% of those people are using the internet for webinars or skype meetings ... Most of the people got used to leave their pcs powered up at 12 , sleep and internet download manager automatically shutting off at 7 without even trying to check out if the thing they downloading is even working , again this is the BIGGEST part of those people not ALL of them as everyone of us knows at least 4 to 5 people who actually do it and don't deny that.

#1879 July 2 2014

trent

But if no one is using the pipes at night what's the harm in letting the digital hoarders hoard away. Why not use the countries capacity to the fullest day and night? Something good might come out of it. As internet subscribers we are collectively paying for the IMEWE and other undersea cables whether bits flow through them or not. Some people will use them for good things, others for useless things. We shouldn't punish the 10%.

In remote locations it's understandable that the local infrastructure might not be up to it, but in cities where the copper lines are more than adequate to handle speeds north of 10mbits, and supposedly (unless our tax money was stolen, which is always a possibility) COs have been networked with high speed fiber links, there is no excuse for the current situation. And why the hell doesn't Ogero and the ministry of telecom sell private ISPs the E1s they're asking for.

And then there is the continuous stream of lies and misinformation like this graphic on the ministry of telecom's main page. I don't know about anyone here but I never paid 195,000LL for the previous 2mbps-20GB connection !!!
mpy5.jpg

#1880 July 2 2014

HotCreep

trent wrote:

But if no one is using the pipes at night what's the harm in letting the digital hoarders hoard away. Why not use the countries capacity to the fullest day and night? Something good might come out of it. As internet subscribers we are collectively paying for the IMEWE and other undersea cables whether bits flow through them or not. Some people will use them for good things, others for useless things. We shouldn't punish the 10%.

In remote locations it's understandable that the local infrastructure might not be up to it, but in cities where the copper lines are more than adequate to handle speeds north of 10mbits, and supposedly (unless our tax money was stolen, which is always a possibility) COs have been networked with high speed fiber links, there is no excuse for the current situation. And why the hell doesn't Ogero and the ministry of telecom sell private ISPs the E1s they're asking for.

And then there is the continuous stream of lies and misinformation like this graphic on the ministry of telecom's main page. I don't know about anyone here but I never paid 195,000LL for the previous 2mbps-20GB connection !!!
http://mpt.gov.lb/images/newslidear/mpy5.jpg

When the minister first talking about upgrading, he mentioned (more than once) that ogero will provide as much E1 as the ISPs needs.
I guess that can be counted as a third lie (the FNQ and FUP being the first and second).
Sodetel has not upgraded yet solely because Youssef is not providing them with E1s, and they can't announce packages if they do not have enough bandwidth.
Regarding the 195,000 thing, I think the old plan was 2 mbps 20 gbytes. the new one is 40 gbytes, so they multiplied 20 with 6000 LL (price of extra gb) and added to the original plan's price, just to make it look like the upgrade was drastic so we could be grateful for their overwhelming generosity

#1881 July 2 2014

trent

Except I had free nights and I could get those extra 20GB and then some between 12am-7am for free ... but you know 120,000LL/month is not such a huge lie!

Last edited by trent (July 2 2014)

#1882 July 2 2014

vengeance666

We were using those pipes while 93% of the Ogero customers ( let's exclude private ISPs ) were on a 1mbit speed. But think of it right now , soon people will be able to receive 6mbps speed for 65000 LBP and 8+ for 100 000 LBP. What's the proof that abusing those pipes with x6 bandwidth requirements won't affect QoS at night and make the long known Ogero stability and pings become unstable because servers will become overloaded ? That's my biggest concern out of it , and if everything is guaranteed to remain with same pings and stability then why not ? I highly doubt lebanese infrastructure can handle that or maybe I'm wrong. I just don't want to end up like the rest around these forums with private ISPs who constantly complain about slowdowns or higher ping between 11 and 3am, exactly the reason why I chose Ogero in the first place.

#1883 July 2 2014

NuclearVision

@trent 20gb*6000= 120.000 that's the difference, I guess you have been paying like 75.000

#1884 July 2 2014

chassis

can anyone help me in understanding the FUP. what amount will i be able to download per day ? any number to help me understand would be appreciated :)

#1885 July 2 2014

andrew55

@vengeance666 Not everyone will have the luxury of applying for packages above 4 Mbps. One of the general directors of the MOT said that 30 % of DSL users live too far from the CO to reach 2 Mbps. The other 70 % are reluctant to get speeds of 4 Mbps and above. Most COs aren't equipped to give speeds higher than 4 Mbps. The only users who are getting speeds > 4 Mbps are connected to large COs and are closer to Beirut..

Take a vote.. who here has a package above 4 Mbps? meaning 6 or 8 Mbps... I'm sure the results will be impressive... lol

#1886 July 2 2014

vengeance666

3599567420.png

Anyone else noticed his ISP name changed ? Mine changed from Libantelecom to Reliance Globalcom Limited.

#1887 July 2 2014

karimo

3599588203.png

nope. iam still on libantelecom

#1888 July 2 2014

trent

vengeance666 wrote:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/3599567420.png

Anyone else noticed his ISP name changed ? Mine changed from Libantelecom to Reliance Globalcom Limited.

I've seen it before on Ogero for some of their IP blocks. Reconnect and you'll get another IP which will most likely be Libantelecom

#1889 July 2 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

is it confirmed that ogero have fup on the 2mb unlimited plan?

#1890 July 2 2014

maulader

Ahmad Toutounji wrote:

is it confirmed that ogero have fup on the 2mb unlimited plan?

The minister said so on twitter. Check the previous page.

#1891 July 2 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

guys i don't think that ogero will have fup on the 2mb unlimited plan because if so they would've write it on their webpage just like every other isp

#1892 July 2 2014

Cpt.Majed

andrew55 wrote:

@vengeance666 Not everyone will have the luxury of applying for packages above 4 Mbps. One of the general directors of the MOT said that 30 % of DSL users live too far from the CO to reach 2 Mbps. The other 70 % are reluctant to get speeds of 4 Mbps and above. Most COs aren't equipped to give speeds higher than 4 Mbps. The only users who are getting speeds > 4 Mbps are connected to large COs and are closer to Beirut..

Take a vote.. who here has a package above 4 Mbps? meaning 6 or 8 Mbps... I'm sure the results will be impressive... lol

My CO is in Jdeideh, I live in fanar and my line attenuation is around 45 dB so my line can handle up to  6Mb  and Ogero still saying that my line can't handle 4Mb.

At night I used to download large files ( despite the fact if it's useless or not ) but now I cant anymore
If I apply for the unlimited plan I will get FUPed and I can't game anymore since I will have a high ping
So what can I do now ?

#1893 July 2 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

cpt.majed i don't think there will be fup maybe the minister meant on private isp's

#1894 July 2 2014

wollyka

I was at first informed that I can upgrade speed after the first of July, however it is not. (idm, Mazraa CO)

Dear Mr. ,
We would like to thank you for your email, and inform you that upgrading your account to 8M, cannot be processed for the time being, due to technical limitations where all upgrades from the side of the Ministry have not been completed yet. We will inform you whenever the change speed can be processed.

Last edited by wollyka (July 2 2014)

#1895 July 2 2014

madguylb

Guys read that article where it says that ogero free at night is still available. http://www.lebanon24.com/featured/details/820097

#1896 July 2 2014

chassis

well i have 3 gb that say otherwise...

#1897 July 2 2014

zerokelvin

I download during the night and nothing during the day and I got around 5GB on my account. So they are billing you for the night consumption.

Screencap

Last edited by zerokelvin (July 2 2014)

#1898 July 2 2014

trent

madguylb wrote:

Guys read that article where it says that ogero free at night is still available. http://www.lebanon24.com/featured/details/820097

I'll send Lebanon24 my Ogero bill at the end of the month and they can pay my overage fees for me.
For the past 2 nights we've been losing quota for our 12-7am usage.
Lebanon24 are either misinformed or participating in the lie propaganda machine.

#1899 July 2 2014

chassis

guys there is something wrong with my quota... after having 2.8 gb downloaded yesterday , i turned off my wifi and went to work in the morning, i checked the ogero website at 3 pm and it showed 2.8gb... now i come home and check it and it shows 3.6gb?? were did the extra 800mbs suddenly come from?  could ogero be ripping us off even MORE

#1900 July 2 2014

Raficoo

Yea definitely no more free night traffic, couldn't open my account for a while("updating the site" message) and now I can and the only thing they added is the "usage accounted for since last session read" line as you can see wp_ss_20140702_0001-154532.jpg

Board footer