LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1851 July 1 2014

Ramnesia

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

I am going tomorrow to apply for the 2Mbit Unlimited, I m hoping they wont tell me no such plan exist.

Last edited by Ramnesia (July 1 2014)

#1852 July 1 2014

maulader

Ramnesia wrote:

I am going tomorrow to apply for the 2Mbit Unlimited, I m hoping they wont tell me no such plan exist.

please report back what happens so to know what to expect.

#1853 July 1 2014

AVOlio

trent wrote:
AVOlio wrote:

Gonna wait 2 more months maybe.
Maybe even try the 2mb unlimited from ogero.
If I am satisfied with it, I will keep with it.   But it's too expensive!  50$!

If I'm not satisfied... If they implement FUP.. If the pings aren't stable.

Gonna switch to IDM.
And with that, my number  of switching ISPs will reach noss dazzine.

Nice isn't it.

Since you're an expert on switching ISPs by now with that "noss dazzine" ...

How long does it take for the switch? Are you left with no active internet connection for several days, weeks, months!?
Does the new ISP handle everything? or do you have to run to Ogero to beg and plead since they are the DSP in most cases?
Have you switched off Ogero before? Do they make it insanely difficult to give them the boot and walk away to a private ISP?

I have not switched From Ogero before nope.
I have switched from Sodetel, from Wise (twice) and from another ISP (i think it was Cyberia loooong time ago) and a couple of cable providers.
it usually takes 2 months.  took One month and a little with Wise, the second time. Which during this time, youre gonna be without internet of course.
They usually go to Ogero and do all the necessary paperwork (cancellation papers and renewal for a new one etc..)
Only thing you have to prepare are ID or ikhraj Eid of the owner of the line, and a last telephone bill

#1854 July 1 2014

Johnaudi

Problem with 2M UNL: You get disconnected randomly every hour or two from HTTP responses, but TCP still works.

In short, you cannot surf the web but you can play games online and stuff like that... Weird, isn't it?

#1855 July 1 2014

Ramnesia

Johnaudi wrote:

Problem with 2M UNL: You get disconnected randomly every hour or two from HTTP responses, but TCP still works.

In short, you cannot surf the web but you can play games online and stuff like that... Weird, isn't it?

ogero?

#1856 July 1 2014

PC_47

I'm sick of the slow wireless connection, and now with these new plans, I want to switch to DSL, so which ISP is best?

#1857 July 1 2014

Johnaudi

Ramnesia wrote:
Johnaudi wrote:

ogero?

Cyberia.

It's quite disturbing.

#1858 July 1 2014

ramy58

If Boutros Harb really knows what he is talking about, then we are f***ed guys : boutrosharbtwitter

#1859 July 1 2014

Johnaudi

I'm having issues connecting to FTPs.

Cannot connect to my FTP server:
Error:    Could not connect to server: EINVAL - Invalid argument passed
Error:    Could not connect to server

But it works normally on an online browser? (which is using its own server's DNS)

#1860 July 1 2014

NuclearVision

@john I know the pain, you are describing my current "cable"internet. Don't try to download torrents
Wait until you download a couple of gbs and see your internet. Ogero is the best, I never faced such problems before moving to my new apartment. I guess everyone would be leaving their ISP  for ogero eventually, IF they keep the unlimited night.

#1861 July 1 2014

Raficoo

Ogero? FUP!???
576x416px-LL-e9a91572_spit_coffee_Wut-s576x416-126987-580.png

NuclearVision wrote:

IF they had kept* the unlimited night.

fixed, as you were implying there's still a chance that unlimited nights could be implemented, however it is 100% confirmed there isn't.

#1862 July 1 2014

NuclearVision

Thanks for the info.
Well it's a ripoff, they are playing the smart asses on the smart asses

#1863 July 1 2014

user

In short, internet packages have changed. They have not become better or worse, just changed. It will take some getting use to.

I guess we will go back to the old days when people used to trade cds and games among each other...

#1864 July 2 2014

karimo

user wrote:

In short, internet packages have changed. They have not become better or worse, just changed. It will take some getting use to.

it actually became worse. whoever downloads alot (more than 40 gb/month) will have to pay for the extra GBs used or get the 2M unlimited plan and suffer from bad ping and throttling. and whoever doesnt even use the old 4gb will be paying the same. it`s a lose/lose situation for everyone.

#1865 July 2 2014

vengeance666

Looking at it at the bright side, it ain't such a bad thing. I mean whoever downloads like a 100 GBS is mostly downloading useless games he will never play or useless series he will watch maybe next century ( speaking from a personal experience with all the heavy downloaders I know , and they are many ). I always payed extra usage of 2 3 GBS every month and having x4 quota won't be bad afterall ( my free night consumption + day consmption is around 25 GBS per month usually ). So right now things got cheaper for me ( considering to reach the amount I used to pay for internet will require me to consume more than 60 gigs which is a large amount that won't make me feel handcuffed whenever I logon to anything or watch a video ). But in any scenario , the removal of free night traffic wasn't really necessary as they did it in a very sneaky way without telling anyone about it ( and giving false information about it staying ) , while ( as if it's true ) the unlimited accounts will be subject to FUP , the "unlimited" part of the sentence is really pointless now , and in my opinion , having a limited quota with full speed internet and better pings is wayyyyy much better , you just need some managment on downloading what you NEED instead of filling you HDDs with junk and pointless things you downloaded just because you had free internet for 7 hours and pressed the download button because you felt like it and it was shiny and nicely designed.

Last edited by vengeance666 (July 2 2014)

#1866 July 2 2014

maulader

vengeance666 wrote:

Looking at it at the bright side, it ain't such a bad thing. I mean whoever downloads like a 100 GBS is mostly downloading useless games he will never play or useless series he will watch maybe next century ( speaking from a personal experience with all the heavy downloaders I know , and they are many ).

I'm a heavy downloader and I actually don't have any series to watch at the moment.. I was also waiting for the "upgrade" so i can download a couple of games from the steam sale that i bought along side some series, now i have to seriously cut back on the series when I was actually expecting to start downloading them at 720p or 108p.

Not to mention, I had a huge list of youtube vids to watch and some twitch series that i wanted to start following, but that's all gone now.

Please stop saying this change is okay, we were expecting better, preparing for better, our hopes were headed towards better, yet now we're stuck with either same or worse!

Why should we settle for mediocrity? we are geeks, we don't do that.

Last edited by maulader (July 2 2014)

#1867 July 2 2014

Fernand

I said they're too good to be true (40 gigs + unlimited at night) in such a country...

#1868 July 2 2014

HotCreep

vengeance666 wrote:

Looking at it at the bright side, it ain't such a bad thing. I mean whoever downloads like a 100 GBS is mostly downloading useless games he will never play or useless series he will watch maybe next century ( speaking from a personal experience with all the heavy downloaders I know , and they are many ). I always payed extra usage of 2 3 GBS every month and having x4 quota won't be bad afterall ( my free night consumption + day consmption is around 25 GBS per month usually ). So right now things got cheaper for me ( considering to reach the amount I used to pay for internet will require me to consume more than 60 gigs which is a large amount that won't make me feel handcuffed whenever I logon to anything or watch a video ). But in any scenario , the removal of free night traffic wasn't really necessary as they did it in a very sneaky way without telling anyone about it ( and giving false information about it staying ) , while ( as if it's true ) the unlimited accounts will be subject to FUP , the "unlimited" part of the sentence is really pointless now , and in my opinion , having a limited quota with full speed internet and better pings is wayyyyy much better , you just need some managment on downloading what you NEED instead of filling you HDDs with junk and pointless things you downloaded just because you had free internet for 7 hours and pressed the download button because you felt like it and it was shiny and nicely designed.

I don't think what we fill our HDDs with is anyone's business. The point is having the freedom to do so, and not be scammed into "upgrades" that do not really exist.
Both the minister and his advisers said that night quota won't be touched and FUP won't be applied on ogero plans. Both lied. 
I do not think that mentioning how many gbs you need (25 GBs) and setting it as a standard is a good idea, everyone has different needs after all.
you all know how lebanon works, and you all know that such chances to advance in this rather forgotten sector are very rare. They will "upgrade" now and keep reminding us that they have "upgraded" for the coming 4 years. People can't be happy with such mediocre and deceiving upgrades just because they fit their needs, you need to think further than that, this country is a very troubled country and it won't be upgrading again any time soon.

#1869 July 2 2014

user

It feels weird that I should be complaining, I used 300 MB of my 40 GB so far. But yes as hotcreep said it is about freedom. It feels weird for me to watch youtube or do downloads knowing that everything is counted. I used to after midnight go crazy with some useless stuff like watching videos in HD(useless as in I could watch it in 140 quality, but I'd enjoy it more in HD). Now I have to keep saying to myself "what if I'll need that bandwith later in the month?" Yesterday night at 3 am I felt this way a lot. It used to be free time, yet I could not help reducing video quality and shutting stuff I don't want because of fear of wasting quotas.

I also like collecting movies and tv series. Especially old ones that most people don't have. I guess I need to find a new hobby.

#1870 July 2 2014

GreenM

I called Cyberia support today. They told me it needs 2-3 days for speeds to change.

#1871 July 2 2014

ali.ba

My plan was upgraded to 2Mbps (IDM), but download speed isn't stable, the speed is somehow oscillating, I tested the download both in Steam and as a Torrent, same results.

50KB/sec --- 130KB/sec --- 180KB/sec --- 200KB/sec ---- 220KB/sec ---- 200KB/sec ---- 180KB/sec ---- 130KB/sec --- 50KB/sec

This happened all night!

#1872 July 2 2014

georgesmh

The unlimited quota after midnight has been deleted only by Ogero or other ISPs as well? Can anyone confirm if it's still available on the ISPs that already received the upgrade?

#1873 July 2 2014

kfc

georgesmh wrote:

The unlimited quota after midnight has been deleted only by Ogero or other ISPs as well? Can anyone confirm if it's still available on the ISPs that already received the upgrade?

still available with idm

#1874 July 2 2014

Ramnesia

I went to ogero today to upgrade my plan and they told me they are on a strike (Odrab)

#1875 July 2 2014

madguylb

I live in zokak el blat and still i did not get speed upgrade. the ogero website is down, i asked them about it and they mentioned that they update it every beginning of the month in order to update the balances.

Last edited by madguylb (July 2 2014)

Board footer