LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1826 July 1 2014

Ramnesia

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

DG wrote:

I concur with DNA. Besides, they still added an unlimited plan (even if it's only a 2 Mbps speed).

Do the maths:
Assuming you only get 80% of advertised speed and no FUP on the unlimited plan.
2 Mbps (actual speed 1.6 Mbps) means a total download of around 720MB per hour, that makes 17,280MB per 24 hours, which in turn translates to 518,400 MB per month.

No offense guys, I have been around this forum for quite some time and I like everyone here but if 500+ GB per month worth of downloads isn't enough for you, then you need to get a life and many many external hard disks. You will end up being broke at this rate very soon... that is, if you can still find interesting content to download on the internet.

I just do not get. Be it 518.400 MB/month or 500TB/month This is not how internet is measured and they should not take advantage of people like this.

#1827 July 1 2014

andrew55

Just saying that they will definitely create an oligopoly.. 150 mbps for 114.95 (comcast) is pathetic compared to google fiber..

#1828 July 1 2014

xAzarian

Johnaudi wrote:

Everything looks great, though it took till 4:30pm to get the internet to work, I had no connection before not sure why.

2M - UNL

http://puu.sh/9S90U/250cb0b823.png

What is your ISP , and how much are you paying?

#1829 July 1 2014

Ramnesia

10$ for 50GB in the states as i read is different than 100000LL for 50GB overage in lebanon. and not all of the isp's are capped there right?

#1830 July 1 2014

trent

andrew55 wrote:

Just saying that they will definitely create an oligopoly.. 150 mbps for 114.95 (comcast) is pathetic compared to google fiber..

I'm not gonna defend Comcast , but their prices are comparable to the market (ex. Verizon FIOS). Google Fiber cannot compete when it only exist in 3 non-major cities. It's not yet clear whether their business model will scale (profitably) to the size of the national ISPs. I'm rooting for the Googs but where I live it's Comcast, Verizon and a few local ISPs land; Google is over a 1000 miles away, might as well be a different country

Back to the discussion of shitty 2mbps interenet in Lebanon

Last edited by trent (July 1 2014)

#1831 July 1 2014

HotCreep

chassis wrote:

Raji Ghamroud
شيخ بطرس، ليش اوجيرو ما عندها سقف غير محدود ليلا، و تيرانت
terranet و sodetel
بعدو غير محدود، بدون سقف ليلا انترنت من بعد اليوم 1 تموز
about an hour ago · Like · 22

Boutros Harb بطرس حرب
السقف غير المحدود ما زال قائما
4 minutes ago · Like

i just found this on his facebook ... does he mean the unlimited internet from 12 to 7 is still applied ?

No it only means, as people say  "shekh botros ma 3arfen shi min shi"

#1832 July 1 2014

GreenM

I'm trying to call Cyberia 24/7 support number but it's offline.

#1833 July 1 2014

andrew55

@Ramnesia Comcast for example has a cap of 250 GB on its cable connection but it's not implemented in most cities b/c most subscribers don't even reach 25 % of that!

@Trent I hope google expands and FiOS isn't availabe everywhere and is super expensive.. they want 300 bucks for a 500 mbps connection.. crazy..

#1834 July 1 2014

Ramnesia

andrew55 wrote:

@Ramnesia Comcast for example has a cap of 250 GB on its cable connection but it's not implemented in most cities b/c most subscribers don't even reach 25 % of that!

@Trent I hope google expands and FiOS isn't availabe everywhere and is super expensive.. they want 300 bucks for a 500 mbps connection.. crazy..

hopefully coming in the next 500 years to lebanon

#1835 July 1 2014

geekevo

My Cyberia subscription expired but for some reason i still have internet. The speed is still the same but the ping has improved buy 10ms which is nice.

#1836 July 1 2014

trent

andrew55 wrote:

The way the cap (I believe it's 350GB for comcast now) works is that if you exceed it by a significant amount (more than 50GB, might even be more) for 2-3 consecutive months, you get a call and they "suggest" (read force you) to upgrade to the business class connection which costs significantly more. I broke the cap once or twice by only 10 or so gigs and never got a call.

Yup for me Comcast was always cheaper and more flexible, compared to FIOS. Ya I hope google expands, even if they aren't available where you want to subscribe they will force the market to offer better cheaper deals.

Competition, if only we had any of that here in Lebanon. With Ogero controlling the international connections and just about everything else about internet delivery we will never see any decent internet speeds, capacity or prices. Free up the sector and allow true competition and things are bound to change. Same deal with wireless data and voice.

#1837 July 1 2014

Cpt.Majed

When someone asked Boutros Harb on twitter why they removed the unlimited night traffic he replied with "this is compensated by the free upgrade up to 40G and we created a new unlimited plan day and night"
So I think it's official No more free quota at night.

#1838 July 1 2014

Ramnesia

Cpt.Majed wrote:

When someone asked Boutros Harb on twitter why they removed the unlimited night traffic he replied with "this is compensated by the free upgrade up to 40G and we created a new unlimited plan day and night"

WOW Guys do you hear It's 40G. Its a MEGA 40G It's HUGE It's a GIGANTIC 40G. Thank you thank you, here is my money.

#1839 July 1 2014

trent

Cpt.Majed wrote:

The minister is not involved in all of this discussion to say the least, his aides control social media efforts. It's clear that different aides handle twitter and facebook, because on the first they acknowledge cancelling free nights and say what they offered more than compensates for it, and on the other they insist that free nights are still implemented on Ogero.

Misinformation, lack of communication, and a sprinkle of lies and you get the current situation.

#1840 July 1 2014

maulader

DNA wrote:

i know this post will receive lots of hate, but actually what Ogero and ministry did is a smart and good move, before this upgrade the only people who benefited from the unlimited nights are only 20% of all subscribers the other 80% only used the internet during the day and those are the ones who mainly exceed their monthly quotas and generated money and that's not fair at all so what they did is provide decent quotas for most of the subscribers to benefit from and generate money from people who switch to unlimited plan which will even out the loss and that's actually a good move.

i am very happy with the upgrade i am subscribed to 1Mb 10GB since my line can't handle more than 1mb and every month i used to exceed the quota because honestly i do my work during the day and that wasn't fair because 20% of subscribers download 100Gb/month for free and 80% of subscribers pay much much more for exceeding quotas. so now its fair for everyone and people who are download nerds can always switch to unlimited plans which for 50$ is very cheap

While I see your point and agree with you to a certain extent, actually downgrading the previously plans and calling it officially an "upgrade" and cheaper prices, making false promises of keeping the unlimited nights is why we are upset and against it.

I had the 1mb package with 10gb and used to download up to 70-80gigs, now i have 1mb with 40gb [most likely will stay at 1mb] yet now it will cost me 3 times the price for the same consumption. I am now forced to buy a more expensive package which as others are saying here might not be as stable as the normal one, which might also submit us to another risk of lies...

So yes we are mad, we are upset, the change IS in fact unfair since it's based on lies followed by others. The entire change was done by the premise that it would be "cheaper" but it's actually more expensive.

What they did was a bad move for everyone but their pockets.

#1841 July 1 2014

aboulfouf

My Cyberia account is upgraded from 1 MB to 2 MB but ping is still pretty much the same

#1842 July 1 2014

karimo

i never thought i`d wish to get slower speed and lower bandwidth cap. good job ogero, you made this dream come true

Last edited by karimo (July 1 2014)

#1843 July 1 2014

Johnaudi

geekevo wrote:

My Cyberia subscription expired but for some reason i still have internet. The speed is still the same but the ping has improved buy 10ms which is nice.

Same thing happened to me last month!

#1844 July 1 2014

Johnaudi

xAzarian wrote:
Johnaudi wrote:

Everything looks great, though it took till 4:30pm to get the internet to work, I had no connection before not sure why.

2M - UNL

http://puu.sh/9S90U/250cb0b823.png

What is your ISP , and how much are you paying?

Cyberia, 50$.

The support was off for the past hours, what's wrong with that figure?

#1845 July 1 2014

chassis

anyone else thinking of switching from ogero ? i mean all the other providers are still offering unlimited downloads at night !!

Last edited by chassis (July 1 2014)

#1846 July 1 2014

AVOlio

Gonna wait 2 more months maybe.
Maybe even try the 2mb unlimited from ogero.
If I am satisfied with it, I will keep with it.   But it's too expensive!  50$!

If I'm not satisfied... If they implement FUP.. If the pings aren't stable.

Gonna switch to IDM.
And with that, my number  of switching ISPs will reach noss dazzine.

Nice isn't it.

#1847 July 1 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

i'll switch to 2mb unlimited plan and wait 4-5 months then if i am not satisfied with it i will switch to another isp

#1848 July 1 2014

Raficoo

chassis wrote:

anyone else thinking of switching from ogero ? i mean all the other providers are still offering unlimited downloads at night !!

I'm gonna get the $50 unlimited option by August and check if it's really unlimited without FUP and stable. The only thing that keeps me with Ogero is the stable constant connection as with private ISPs I always keep hearing(on this site atleast) about ping spikes, slow downs, one moment the connection's fine the next it is isn't. And the fact we have(well actually had) unlimited non-FUP'd nights was icing on the cake.

In the end, its up to how good the unlimited option is that will determine if I stay or not.

#1849 July 1 2014

Ramnesia

I am also gonna try the 2Mb unlimited and see how its gonna be.My second choice is IDM.

#1850 July 1 2014

trent

AVOlio wrote:

Gonna wait 2 more months maybe.
Maybe even try the 2mb unlimited from ogero.
If I am satisfied with it, I will keep with it.   But it's too expensive!  50$!

If I'm not satisfied... If they implement FUP.. If the pings aren't stable.

Gonna switch to IDM.
And with that, my number  of switching ISPs will reach noss dazzine.

Nice isn't it.

Since you're an expert on switching ISPs by now with that "noss dazzine" ...

How long does it take for the switch? Are you left with no active internet connection for several days, weeks, months!?
Does the new ISP handle everything? or do you have to run to Ogero to beg and plead since they are the DSP in most cases?
Have you switched off Ogero before? Do they make it insanely difficult to give them the boot and walk away to a private ISP?

Board footer