LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1801 July 1 2014

kfc

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

Raficoo wrote:

http://s28.postimg.org/5j3aa4xnx/Boutro … _Quota.png
http://s30.postimg.org/be3bami29/Walid_ … Nights.png

The only semi-decent privilege we had and this minister snatched it away from us, not to mention now we will again pay over-usage by fractions of 1GB instead of 100MB that we did just before this "upgrade"

and for those who want to be over-usage stress free will have to get the $50/month... those sneaky lil.....

did you get a speed upgrade?

#1802 July 1 2014

Raficoo

kfc wrote:

did you get a speed upgrade?

Nope my Ogero account + sync speed is still 1mbit/s, I'm guessing users in Saida have to wait a bit longer to get any speed upgrade, it was the same scenario 3 years ago when we got 1mbit/s as a minimum.

#1803 July 1 2014

Johnaudi

Everything looks great, though it took till 4:30pm to get the internet to work, I had no connection before not sure why.

2M - UNL

250cb0b823.png

#1804 July 1 2014

kfc

Johnaudi wrote:

Everything looks great, though it took till 4:30pm to get the internet to work, I had no connection before not sure why.

2M - UNL

http://puu.sh/9S90U/250cb0b823.png

were you already on a 2mbps speed before the upgrade?

#1805 July 1 2014

Ramnesia

Johnaudi wrote:

2M - UNL

http://puu.sh/9S90U/250cb0b823.png

What ISP? What is your ping on the unlimited plan?

#1806 July 1 2014

user

Unconfirmed new: an old classmate of mine wrote on facebook that he called oger oto ask abotu unlimited nights, they said that it will still apply but because they are still updating the website the traffic is showing.

But as I said it is a very long shot. And I barely know the guy who wrote this

#1807 July 1 2014

maulader

user wrote:

Unconfirmed new: an old classmate of mine wrote on facebook that he called oger oto ask abotu unlimited nights, they said that it will still apply but because they are still updating the website the traffic is showing.

I can confirm this is wrong, i already called and asked and they said it's completely removed.

#1808 July 1 2014

user

All support in all ISP in this country know nothing and are very unhelpful. I guess all this does not matter. Time will tell.

#1809 July 1 2014

maulader

user wrote:

All support in all ISP in this country know nothing and are very unhelpful. I guess all this does not matter. Time will tell.

Let's hope in this case you're right lol *fingers crossed*

#1810 July 1 2014

user

Prepare the twitter hashtag guys. If the unlimited is removed we should not let it slide. We get screwed مع تربيح جميلة

#1811 July 1 2014

trent

user wrote:

Ogero update their website once every decade. For them to put the effort to remove the free nights banner, means it was done for a purpose.

And again the decree that requires Ogero to provide free nights was cancelled. If Ogero were to continue providing free nights after the first of July they would be actually breaking the law, and costing the government lost revenue. It ain't gonna happen, just accept that we were screwed over yet again and move on to the next screw over.

Last edited by trent (July 1 2014)

#1812 July 1 2014

chassis

my account has been upgraded....and yes the unlimited internet we used to enjoy from 12 to 7  is gone.....i already have 3gb downloaded (thinking it was free) and we're still day 1 !!

#1813 July 1 2014

andrew55

Did anyone get a speed increase?

#1814 July 1 2014

Ramnesia

Ogero's website is taking  time to load specially the View DSL usage volume page.
I downloaded 200MB at 12am today, when the website started working again i checked my consumption and it was 1MB!!!

#1815 July 1 2014

AVOlio

Seriously, i was so excited on the upgrades and everything!
I thought to myself, looks like there is some hope in this country after all!

Only thing they did, is to give us a good thing, but add 4 bad things next to it.
Seriously... khalas, no hope in this country.

#1816 July 1 2014

DNA

i know this post will receive lots of hate, but actually what Ogero and ministry did is a smart and good move, before this upgrade the only people who benefited from the unlimited nights are only 20% of all subscribers the other 80% only used the internet during the day and those are the ones who mainly exceed their monthly quotas and generated money and that's not fair at all so what they did is provide decent quotas for most of the subscribers to benefit from and generate money from people who switch to unlimited plan which will even out the loss and that's actually a good move.

i am very happy with the upgrade i am subscribed to 1Mb 10GB since my line can't handle more than 1mb and every month i used to exceed the quota because honestly i do my work during the day and that wasn't fair because 20% of subscribers download 100Gb/month for free and 80% of subscribers pay much much more for exceeding quotas. so now its fair for everyone and people who are download nerds can always switch to unlimited plans which for 50$ is very cheap

#1817 July 1 2014

Ramnesia

There is no  excuse for what they did. I am sure they wont even lose anything if all the plans were unlimited. In other countries where citizens have value they don't put limits. They just like to make moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooore money!

#1818 July 1 2014

trent

$50 is very cheap!?!?!

My ISP in the US, which by no means is the top country when it comes to broadband speeds or prices, charged $50 for a 24/2mbps connection with a soft-cap of 350GB (no overage fees). I used to "splurge" and pay $65 for 50/5mbps with the same soft-cap, even though I rarely needed such a fast connection.

Internet in Lebanon is among the most expensive worldwide, especially so after you consider how low minimum and average wages are in this country.

#1819 July 1 2014

andrew55

@trent wait till your ISP merges with comcast.. haha

#1820 July 1 2014

chassis

will there be a FUP on the unlimited plan ? because if so then we are royally screwed

#1821 July 1 2014

DG

I concur with DNA. Besides, they still added an unlimited plan (even if it's only a 2 Mbps speed).

Do the maths:
Assuming you only get 80% of advertised speed and no FUP on the unlimited plan.
2 Mbps (actual speed 1.6 Mbps) means a total download of around 720MB per hour, that makes 17,280MB per 24 hours, which in turn translates to 518,400 MB per month.

No offense guys, I have been around this forum for quite some time and I like everyone here but if 500+ GB per month worth of downloads isn't enough for you, then you need to get a life and many many external hard disks. You will end up being broke at this rate very soon... that is, if you can still find interesting content to download on the internet.

Last edited by DG (July 1 2014)

#1822 July 1 2014

Ramnesia

I am so mad right now hahahah my dutch friend has 200mbit/s in the netherlands with no capppppp whyyy whyyyyy!!!

#1823 July 1 2014

trent

Oh and by the way Internet is not a limited resource like water and electricity. The bits don't run out. They pay for pipe width, whether it gets used or not. There is no loss in allowing us to use the pipes as much as we want after midnight when no one cares much about quality of service because most just leave their PCs on to continue downloading when they sleep. During the day manage the network as much as you want to guarantee QOS.

Overage fees are just a rip off; it's a way to make people think they are getting away with paying low prices for a service, and at the end of the month overcharge them and make them pay what you really wanted them to pay in the first place. We should be charged based on how much bandwidth we want to subscribe for, because that's how ISPs pay on the other end for their bandwidth ... GeeBees are free it's the pipes that cost money!

#1824 July 1 2014

trent

andrew55 wrote:

@trent wait till your ISP merges with comcast.. haha

Sorry to tell you, but I was a Comcast customer for 10 years

#1825 July 1 2014

chassis

Raji Ghamroud
شيخ بطرس، ليش اوجيرو ما عندها سقف غير محدود ليلا، و تيرانت
terranet و sodetel
بعدو غير محدود، بدون سقف ليلا انترنت من بعد اليوم 1 تموز
about an hour ago · Like · 22

Boutros Harb بطرس حرب
السقف غير المحدود ما زال قائما
4 minutes ago · Like

i just found this on his facebook ... does he mean the unlimited internet from 12 to 7 is still applied ?

Last edited by chassis (July 1 2014)

Board footer