LebGeeks

A community for technology geeks in Lebanon.

You are not logged in.

#1751 June 30 2014

trent

Re: Internet in Lebanon - General Questions

Ogero has removed the free nights banner from their main page.
Congratulations boys and girls, enjoy your so called upgrade.
Maybe the next one in 4 years will finally bring us some decent internet packages.

#1752 June 30 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

wow if the unlimited 12 to 7 is gone then boutros harb screwed big time

#1753 June 30 2014

Ramnesia

trent wrote:

Ogero has removed the free nights banner from their main page.
Congratulations boys and girls, enjoy your so called upgrade.
Maybe the next one in 4 years will finally bring us some decent internet packages.

Yeah i noticed that too!
I called them and asked about it and they said  it is still available, then i asked are they gonna remove it later on, he replied no there is nothing of that sort.
So weird!

#1754 June 30 2014

Johnaudi

Cyberia still has it.

0ef80e6611.png

#1755 June 30 2014

Ahmad Toutounji

ramnesia, maybe they removed the banner because all the people know that they have 12 to 7 unlimited,dunno ...

#1756 June 30 2014

Raficoo

A friend of mine told me that Ogero came to his house to check his line and they told him that unlimited nights would stay. Anyways ~4:30 to go.. Tick tock :)

Edit: He also said they told him that in the beginning everyone will get 2mbit/s 40GB plan then everyone can apply for their prefered plan that can started August 1st or less(not sure what he meant by "or less")

Last edited by Raficoo (June 30 2014)

#1757 June 30 2014

trent

Johnaudi wrote:

yup, private ISPs still have it (terra not yet 100% confirmed). It's only Ogero customers that are getting screwed. We were the last to get free nights in 2012 (and 1hr less per night), and now we are losing it again.
Add to that more limited plan options compared to private ISPs, and generally slightly more expensive.

Oh, by the way I'm pretty sure we are also gonna lose calculation of overages by fractions of a gigabyte (used to be per 100MB). We are going back to any fraction of a GB = 1GB.
And 1GB at Ogero = 1000MB instead of 1024MB for some odd reason. Guess it's some Lebanese "screw you" standard.

#1758 June 30 2014

Ramnesia

We should think positive
I forgot to say i also asked them about the costumers who pay for the 4Mbit/s or the 8Mbit/s will they get the standard 2Mbit/s plan.
He said no they will get the plan closer to what they used to pay.
I am not sure if this is how it is going to be or i didn't get what he said.
someone knows anything about this?

#1759 June 30 2014

HotCreep

read on sodetel's facebook page that sodetel sales rep told customers to switch to idm if they don't like sodetel because sodetel won't post new plans for 2 weeks.
how pathetic is that?

#1760 June 30 2014

trent

Prices posted on Ogero, again no mention of free nights. Not that they used to say it there since the last time prices were updated was before free nights were implemented.
Screenshot_2014_06_30_at_7_46_31_PM.png

@Ramnesia, I didn't get a straight answer regarding what plan I will be on starting July 1. The only sure thing I understood is that I can submit a plan change request after the 1st. Currently on 2mbps(20G)

#1761 June 30 2014

Ramnesia

I was checking mobi dsl plans on their website. The max speed they got is 4Mbit/s !
They also got an unlimited 4Mbit/s.

#1762 June 30 2014

Fernand

Plan upgrades will happen PROGRESSIVELY I'm sure. Many, in my opinion, will not wake up with 2mbps tomorrow in the morning.

#1763 June 30 2014

trent

Fernand wrote:

Plan upgrades will happen PROGRESSIVELY I'm sure. Many, in my opinion, will not wake up with 2mbps tomorrow in the morning.

Probably. But this time around most of the new speeds already existed and customers are subscribed to them (2, 4, 6/8 mbps). So it's only a matter of changing the quota which can be relatively easily done server side.
Upgrades for customers currently on 1mbps to at least 2mbps will probably take a while to happen. But at least like last time they can bump the quota up as speed upgrades roll out.

#1764 June 30 2014

Fernand

trent wrote:
Fernand wrote:

Probably. But this time around most of the new speeds already existed and customers are subscribed to them (2, 4, 6/8 mbps). So it's only a matter of changing the quota which can be relatively easily done server side.
Upgrades for customers currently on 1mbps to at least 2mbps will probably take a while to happen. But at least like last time they can bump the quota up as speed upgrades roll out.

Wow. Bumping quota up is a life-changer.
I'm not that optimistic about upgrades. There will always be asterisks next to speeds and quotas. :/
We'll see.

#1765 June 30 2014

ramy58

What are you guys talking about ? The banner is clearly there.

#1766 June 30 2014

Fernand

ramy58 wrote:

What are you guys talking about ? The banner is clearly there.

It's not.

FluxBB bbcode test

#1767 June 30 2014

Johnaudi

trent wrote:
Johnaudi wrote:

yup, private ISPs still have it (terra not yet 100% confirmed). It's only Ogero customers that are getting screwed. We were the last to get free nights in 2012 (and 1hr less per night), and now we are losing it again.
Add to that more limited plan options compared to private ISPs, and generally slightly more expensive.

Oh, by the way I'm pretty sure we are also gonna lose calculation of overages by fractions of a gigabyte (used to be per 100MB). We are going back to any fraction of a GB = 1GB.
And 1GB at Ogero = 1000MB instead of 1024MB for some odd reason. Guess it's some Lebanese "screw you" standard.

All ISPs are like that.

#1768 June 30 2014

HotCreep

My theory regarding the Sodetel delay:
I think sodetel is one of few ISPs that still use satellite connections (hence their high pings).
As far as I know terra, idm, cyberia all have low pings.
So, after ogero reduced the E1 price in order for isps to lower the prices, Sodetel now probably finds the satellite lines too expensive (compared to ogero E1). I think that is why the negotiations with the ministry took too much time, since they will need alot of E1s now, probably more than other isps.
I might be mistaken but that is the only explanation that made sense to me. why else would they risk getting bashed by their own costumers?
The positive thing that might come out of this delay is that pings will be better.

#1769 June 30 2014

omar_killer

HotCreep wrote:

My theory regarding the Sodetel delay:
I think sodetel is one of few ISPs that still use satellite connections (hence their high pings).
As far as I know terra, idm, cyberia all have low pings.
So, after ogero reduced the E1 price in order for isps to lower the prices, Sodetel now probably finds the satellite lines too expensive (compared to ogero E1). I think that is why the negotiations with the ministry took too much time, since they will need alot of E1s now, probably more than other isps.
I might be mistaken but that is the only explanation that made sense to me. why else would they risk getting bashed by their own costumers?
The positive thing that might come out of this delay is that pings will be better.

You might be right especially that they were the only ISP that had an unlimited plan.

#1770 June 30 2014

trent

Do we know it for a fact that Ogero / Ministry of telecom is providing ISPs with as much E1s as they are asking for? This has always been a point of contention between the two parties. I believe around 2011 Ogero didn't provide a single E1 to private ISPs for a period of 2 years.

Things don't seem to be too rosy this time around either if a news article posted here in a another thread is to believed, where Abdel-Minam Youssef from Ogero said that private ISPs don't need more E1s to provide the current upgrades, when asked about the issue. A point contested by private ISPs an by plain old common sense!

If private ISP's quality of service starts deteriorating as the upgrades start rolling, we might be heading in the wrong direction regarding the E1 issue.

Satellite downlinks are neither cheaper nor offer better QOS, but when private ISPs have no other option they are essentially forced to use them.

#1771 June 30 2014

Raficoo

Great, Ogero users won't be able to know about the new quota until tomorrow it seems
ogero.png
also my connection is still 1mbit/s(which I actually expected)

#1772 June 30 2014

maulader

Raficoo wrote:

Great, Ogero users won't be able to know about the new quota until tomorrow it seems
http://s10.postimg.org/54ya55aq1/ogero.png

Same here :/ I stayed up just to see how this goes at 12am. *disappoint*

#1773 June 30 2014

trent

Raficoo wrote:

It's always like that with Ogero, the 15th and end of the month.
As you said it's expected that 1mbps will not be magically flipped to 2mbps at midnight, but at least you should hope for the extra quota.

And I advise not to do an overnight download session until we know for certain what happened with free nights.

#1774 June 30 2014

HotCreep

trent wrote:

Do we know it for a fact that Ogero / Ministry of telecom is providing ISPs with as much E1s as they are asking for? This has always been a point of contention between the two parties. I believe around 2011 Ogero didn't provide a single E1 to private ISPs for a period of 2 years.

Things don't seem to be too rosy this time around either if a news article posted here in a another thread is to believed, where Abdel-Minam Youssef from Ogero said that private ISPs don't need more E1s to provide the current upgrades, when asked about the issue. A point contested by private ISPs an by plain old common sense!

If private ISP's quality of service starts deteriorating as the upgrades start rolling, we might be heading in the wrong direction regarding the E1 issue.

Satellite downlinks are neither cheaper nor offer better QOS, but when private ISPs have no other option they are essentially forced to use them.

There thing is, two years ago the minister and Youssef were not really big fans of each other. Youssef made everything hard for everyone back then.
The minister and Youssef now are from the same political side (it all comes down to politics after all), I thought this will make everything easier. But it seems Youssef is an A$$ no matter who the minister is.

#1775 June 30 2014

user

Raficoo wrote:

it usually takes like 4 days to update that page, it happens on the begining of every month, last month I was flying blind for half of the first week...

I noticed one thing about ogero's website, they removed th "unlimited download between 12 am and 7 am" banner they had on top of the first page. I think the good times are over my friends...

Board footer